Chapter 6

Chapter Six:

I smiled as Vane stretched out and groaned, sitting up suddenly. “Shit. I have to get to work. Will you be alright here by yourself?” I nodded and he leaned over to kiss the side of my head. I blushed slightly and looked at him with heavy lidded eyes. “Good, I might be late getting home, so don’t wait up.”

“Alright.” I answered sleepily, rolling over and burying my head back into my pillow. I inhaled deeply, smiling as Vane’s scent drifted toward me. My mouth watered and I hugged the pillow closer. “I think I am just going to stay here all day.” I mumbled, peeking at Vane out of the corner of my eye.

He chuckled and pulled on a pair of pants, winking at me. “You might want to get some rest. I might try to keep you up all night.” He walked to the closet and pulled out a nice, white button up. As he slid it on and buttoned it up, he spoke again. “Oh, and don’t forget that you have appointments with lawyers and potential clients this week, so you might want to find your portfolio for presentation.”

“Oh, I almost forgot about that. Thank you for reminding me.” I smiled and sat up slowly, shivering as the blanket fell from my body. My hair tumbled down my shoulders toward my stomach, tangling slightly. My head spun suddenly and I leaned back onto my elbows. “Oh, wow.”

Vane watched me worriedly. “Are you alright?” I nodded, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath to steady myself. “Are you sure? You don’t look too well.”

“I’m fine. I think I just sat up too fast.” I chuckled to myself and threw the blanket back and stood up quickly, picking up the night gown I had worn last night. It was the same color as the lingerie I had worn last week when I seduced Vane and I smiled at the memory. A week of great sex made for a happy Sinclair. I giggled at the thought.

Vane sat on the edge of the bed, lacing up his shoes. “So, you never told me what kind of clothing you design.”

“I like gothic clothing. Anything eccentric and dark.” My phone wet off, signaling that I got a message. I frowned and read the message, cursing under my breath. “Thalia messaged me.” I whispered, looking at Vane nervously.

His eyes darkened slightly. “What did she want?”

“She just wants me to call her. I haven’t talked to her since you told me that I couldn’t take a female lover, and I am sure that she isn’t going to be too happy about that.” I punched in her number, hesitating to press the call button.

Vane stared at me for a moment. “I don’t mind if you are friends with her…” My eyes widened and I stared at him, noticing how his cheeks flushed and he stared down at his feet.

“Wait, what?” I just stared at him, shocked. I didn’t hear him right, did I?

He walked to me and placed his hands on my shoulders gently. “If you are going to be happy here with me, you will need to have a life outside of me and our baby.” He paused briefly. “I just ask that you do not get physically involved with her. Please.” I nodded, swallowing hard.

“Alright. I won’t.” I whispered, smiling at him shyly.

He smiled and leaned down to kiss the top of my head. “Thank you. I have to get going or I am going to be even later than what I already am.” He released me and walked to the door, shooting me another dazzling smile as he walked away.

“Okay, call me when you are on your way home. I will make dinner.” He nodded and left me alone in his room to call Thalia. I groaned and pressed the call button, holding the phone to my ear.

“Where the hell have you been?” Thalia snapped as she answered the phone.

I flinched as her screech reached my ears and I sighed. “I’ve been busy mending things with Vane.” I answered, taking a seat on Vane’s bed again. “He just left for work and said it was fine that I called you.”

“Oh, great.” She sneered. “So you only call me when your master says you can.”

I gritted my teeth and forced myself to remain calm. “Thalia, you know that I have to make things work with Vane, and out of respect for the father-to-be of my child, I will respect his wishes. He doesn’t want me to be with you physically, so I am going to respect that.”

“What we have isn’t just physical, Sinclair! You know that what we feel each other runs deeper than that.” I heard the anger in her voice, and that frightened me. I had seen her angry before, and it was never a pretty sight.

I groaned to myself. “Thalia, it’s better this way. I don’t want to confuse the child.”

“You aren’t even pregnant yet! Why can’t you just admit that you would rather be with me?” I held the phone away from my ear, cringing as she began yelling. “Where are you? I am coming over.”

Panic coursed through me. “No. I am not going to talk to you about this. I am going to try with Vane to make our child’s life as easy as possible. If you are only going to cause issues, then I am going to delete your number. I want to be your friend, I really do, but-”

“But you like Vane, don’t you?” She snapped.

My entire body stiffened and I felt my palms begin to sweat. “I have to, Thalia. He’s always going to be a part of my life now.”

“But he doesn’t have to be.” Silence met her response. “Just think about it. You don’t have to be tied to that damned ice king. I can love you if you decide that I am the one you need.”