Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I smiled as I entered the wedding planner’s office. She stood and held her hand out to me. “Miss Simmons, it’s good to see you. Your fiance told me that you would be in this afternoon. Is everything to your liking?”

“Yes, yes.” I reassured her, taking her hand and shaking it. “I just wanted to come back in to talk to you about a few minor details. Vane tells me that you have hired security for the event.”

She smiled, nodding slightly. “Yes, even though your wedding is in a remote area, Mr. Hanson and I both agreed that having the appropriate protection on hand would be best.”

“Right, I just wanted to meet the men that will be guarding the event.” I pulled out my wallet. “If it is any trouble, I assure you that I can provide compensation.”

She gave me a weary look. “Miss Simmons, I can assure you that only the best will be looking after you and your guests. I do not think that they would like having their identities revealed.”

“No identities have to be revealed. I just simply wish to speak with a couple of them. They can keep their faces hidden if they wish.” I played with the ring on my left hand, giving her the most comfortable smile I could muster. “You don’t even have to tell them you sent me.”

Delilah sighed. “Is Vane aware that you are seeking to speak to my contacts? I can hardly believe that he would approve. He trusted me to find these men because I have some discretion. Yes, I deal with shady contacts, but I do not wish to lose them because an old friend wishes it so.”

“I do not think you will be losing any contacts if they speak with me. That I can assure you.” I pulled a few bills out of my wallet and slid them across the desk to her.

She hesitated, but gently picked up the money. “I sure hope that you are right, Miss Simmons. But keep in mind that these men are good at their job, scarily so.” After she tucked the money into her pocket, she picked the phone up and dialed in a number.

Several moments later, she spoke. “Yes, I need to talk to Gentoka.” Pause. “Thank you.” Her eyes shifted to mine. “I have someone that wishes to speak with you. Yes, I have told her that you will not reveal yourself. I do not know what she needs, but I am sure it is just to talk with those that will be in charge of her safety.” She let out a deep breath. “I understand. Thank you, Gentoka.”

Delilah hung up and gave me a small smile. “He said he will meet with you. Shall I go ahead and give you the address?”

“Yes, please.” I said, feeling a wave of relief. “I am eager to speak with him.”

She nodded and jotted something down on a piece of paper before handing it to me. “I hope that you find what you need from them.”

* * * * *

The man next to me shifted until his body was facing away and his face was hidden. “Did you need something?”

“You are mercenary, correct?” I asked, clutching my bag closer. My hands were sweating and my heart was racing.

I heard him chuckle. “That is a rather formal word. But, I suppose you could call me that. I do what I have to do to put food on the table.” When I didn’t say anything immediately, he continued. “Why do you ask?”

I was silent for a moment. “I need someone taken care of.”

“Ma’am, the service you are asking for is not cheap. And my men and I have some honor.”

“The person I need disposed of has attacked my family, and I fear that she will do more damage. My fiance and I want to have a child, but I know that she would try to harm whatever children I may have. I don’t want to live in fear anymore.”

He let out a breath. “I think I understand. And I can help you if that is truly what you wish. But know that once you sign the contract, there is no turning back. Meaning, you will not get a refund.”

“I understand that.” I said. “Shall I return tomorrow and give you time to get a contract drawn up?”

“Yes, I think that would be enough time.” He hesitated before getting out of the car. “You should really think about this before then. This is someone’s life we are talking about.”

“I know, but I’m thinking about the lives of my future children.”