Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I groaned and rolled over, my stomach the only thing stopping me from flipping completely over. Vane’s grip tightened on my waist and he pulled me back against his body. “Already trying to escape?”

“No, I’m just really uncomfortable.” I unwrapped his arms from around my body so that I could sit up. “Vane, can you call the doctor please?”

He suddenly shot up, reaching for his phone. “What is it? Are you alright? Are you going into labor?”

“No, we are still a couple months away. I just want to talk to her.” He dialed the doctor’s number and handed me the phone, giving me a worried glance. I gave Vane a reassuring smile, taking the phone from him.

He sighed and kissed my cheek, not bothering to hide his displeasure.

* * * * *

The doctor entered the room with a small smile on her face, as if she were trying to comfort me. “We will run a couple of tests, and then an ultrasound. I am certain that you have nothing to worry about. As you get closer to your due date, is is normal that you will grow even more uncomfortable.”

“Thank you, Doctor.” Vane answered, tightening his grip on my hand. With him so close, it was hard for me to feel afraid. I felt my palms begin to sweat as the doctor lifted my black tshirt and pressed her cold fingers against the swell of my belly.

She held very still for a few long seconds before beginning to feel all over once again. “Stay like this, Sinclair. I need to check something.” Before I could respond to her directions, she pulled the ultrasound machine to my bedside and quickly sat down on the stool next to it.

“What is it?” She didn’t answer me, instead just squirting the cold blue gel onto my stomach. My heart thudded even harder as she held the ultrasound sensor up against my stomach gently. She pushed and moved it around, staring at the almost totally black screen.

Vane stared at the screen harder than even the doctor was. I saw him swallow hard and his grip tightened even harder until my fingers began to ache with the force of his hold. While he was watching the screen and our baby, I was watching him. He was everything. He was my world. And I knew now that I was in too deep.

“Sinclair,” the doctor said, never once looking in my direction. “I’m so sorry.”

My eyes snapped to her, and my mouth went dry.  Vane was the one to answer her. “What is it?” The doctor didn’t answer him fast enough. “What the hell is wrong?” I closed my eyes, feeling my entire body go numb. No… No. No!

“Mr. Hanson, it appears that you two have lost the baby.” I knew when she said my name, that something wasn’t right. But hearing her actually say it outloud made the dam break.

Vane ripped his hand out of mine and stood abruptly, knocking his chair over. “What do you mean? She’s still pregnant, isn’t she?” He had raised his voice, letting his ever-calm demeanor fall apart.

“The baby is still inside of her, yes. But I couldn’t find a heartbeat. I am sorry. I truly am.” She sent a reassuring look my way. “Whenever you are ready, come find me. I will go over what needs to be done with you when you are all set.”

Vane raked a hand through his hair as he watched the doctor leave the room. He turned his eyes to me and the tears that had pooled in them made my heart clench. “Sin…”

“Get out.” I whispered, ripping my eyes away from him. “Go call Jason.”

“Sinclair.”

I held up my hand, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. “I said go call my brother, Vane. I do not want to talk about this.”