Chapter 16: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

Kakashi

Time seemed to stand still, the temperature seemed to drop and even the sky seemed to darken as the shadows from any form that cast one all moved towards Rin; dark charka circled her arms and focused into her hands. Her eyes remained forward as she directed each shadow to cover the fiery mass her dark chakra fusing with it as it formed a perfect black sphere. I could hear nothing, I couldn't even move until the sphere vanished. Everything seemed to start up again and while I expected Rin to stumble she stood staring at where the explosion had been then looked down at her hands as the dark chakra faded. I looked at the others and each shared the same amazed expression. I finally got to my feet and cautiously walked forward.

"Rin are you-"

"I'm not coughing" She breathed.

"I don't feel it, the tightness or jolt of pain. That jutsu, even Orochimaru warned me not use it" She breathed.

"What?" I asked starting to get lost.

"My illness" She continued as she placed a hand against her chest.

"It's gone"

"What happened?" She seemed to snap from her trance and stopped Gai before he could get past her.

"Dark ninjutsu tends to leave behind a dangerous mist; it'll kill you if you walk straight into it. It'll fade in a few minutes" She said and as I focused on the area I saw it; a hazy grey mist and from there I noticed that the trees, flowers, even the grass had died.

"What was that?"

"A transportation jutsu works best at night but I had chakra to waste. I sent it to the middle of the ocean." She explained with a soft sigh.

"Dark ninjutsu hasn't been seen since the first ninja war" Rin glanced at Chiyo and shrugged.

"I'm not sure what just happened but the enemy has been defeated" Lee added in and I noticed Rin shift uneasily.

"More importantly is everyone okay?" I asked looking around to the others; we were all in rough shape but alive at least that was my thought until two of Naruto's clones jumped down with Gaara.

"Gaara" Rin breathed suddenly but Naruto looked to Sakura.

"Sakura can you?" She nodded before he finished his sentence; this was it, what we've all been waiting for.

Rin

I had been focused on fighting, then I had been distracted by the realization that I was really was cured but now there was nothing to push away the emptiness inside me as I stared at Gaara's still body. Sakura continued to check over him until finally she looked up at shook her head. It seemed so unreal, too unreal, Gaara couldn't just die. I walked forward slowly and dropped to my knees next to his body. I could feel all eyes on me as I shakily took his hand into mine.

"I can't feel anything" I breathed and clenched his hand tighter as I felt the tears well behind my eyes.

"I can't feel anything" I repeated.

"Rin...."

"He's, he's Gaara of the Desert, and he's the Kazekage. He's my hero, he can't just die! Hero's don't just die!"

"Try to calm yourself Rin Uchiha" I felt the anger spark in me as I glared at Chiyo.

"You shut up! It was you stupid sand shinobi that put the beast inside him, you're to blame for his death!" I shouted at her.

"You saw him as a monster! That's all he ever was to you so you have no right to speak here! You have no idea what he means to me!" I felt the tears beginning to spill.