Chapter 77: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

**Authors Note: 

I am very excited to get this arc rolling because how quickly we are getting to the war! Lots of exciting things happening. I'm still amazed that we've gotten so far and it's all thanks to you guys! :) 

So please comment, vote and enjoy! 

**

Shikamaru

I think burying Itachi had helped Rin, at least a little. She didn't seem as angry or tense. She even put effort into making a few friends in the ANBU which, even though she wouldn't admit it, she appreciated them. Captain Yamato and even Kakashi were extremely helpful in getting her accustomed to the uniform and being part of the guard. The villagers were beginning to catch wind of her presence but most weren't bold enough to approach her. Besides, Lady Tsunade has openly welcomed her to the village so there was nothing they could do about it anyway. Plus, at least in some way, I think her presence made them feel a little safer. I mean what was better at taking on an Uchiha than another Uchiha? I was on my way to the compound, Rin was slowly starting to move back in. She had managed to clear out her old room, her parents, even Sasuke's but Itachi's room remained untouched. The main gates were fully restored and Jazmine had spent her free time reinforcing the wood that most of the homes were built from. This place was coming back to life and it was somehow comforting, even to me.

"Shikamaru, hey!" I glanced up as Rin set down her paintbrush, red paint splatter was on her face but she was grinning. I noticed Kakashi behind her, he didn't seem to pay attention to me as he finished off repainting another Uchiha Symbol on the wall.

"I thought you we're training" I pointed out and she shrugged.

"Kakashi can only teach me so much, there are only so many tricks an old dog has." She taunted ducking when Kakashi tossed his paintbrush in her direction. Rin laughed, a sound that made my heart flutter as she looked behind her.

"See, what'd I say?"

"Respect your superiors Rin, that's what the ANBU is all about. Respect" I noticed her roll her eyes as Captain Yamato stepped out of the house, Jazmine behind him but her eyes focused on the floorboards as the wood rippled and shifted. It made me a little more comfortable knowing Rin and Kakashi weren't alone in this.

"You mind giving them that lecture?" She replied and he sighed.

"You're the newbie, it'll blow over. We used to give all the new recruits hell."

"It has nothing to do with me being new and you know that" She objected and he shrugged.

"Then suck it up Princess" Yamato replied earning a cross look from Rin. I took her hand in mine, gaining her attention before she started another argument. Okay so her anger wasn't completely gone, but she's always had a temper.

"Not that I don't mind seeing you this early but I thought you were running errands for Lady Tsunade all day?" She questioned and I sighed.

"I was, but she wants you. Well specifically both of us, something to do with Jiraiya" I noticed Rin tense slightly, Jiraiya was killed by the Leader of the Akatsuki. Rin had already been preoccupied with her brothers at the time, and only found out around the same time Naruto had. Naruto still wasn't speaking to her.

"Uchiha catch" Rin managed to catch her mask when Jasmine tossed it.

"These are breakable" She replied annoyed but Jazmine just laughed.

"Get going, we already reinforced the floors and we'll get the rest of the paint cleaned up." She assured her and Rin sighed.

"Alright fine, thanks guys." Rin replied adjusting her headband on her forehead, before putting on the mask. She took my hand pulling me along.