Chapter 16 - Treatment

Chapter 16 – Treatment

“Daisy look at me, you’ll be fine, we’re all here for you, all the way” Harry said cupping my face so I was looking directly into his eyes. I nodded but didn’t speak; if I did I knew my voice would sound hoarse as my mouth was dry.

I was sat on the hospital bed about to start my first round of chemotherapy, Harry was stood in front of me, my mum sitting patiently on a chair to my left and the rest of the boys were all sat down on a separate hospital bed to my right swinging their legs over the edge.  Dr Holt had given me a private room because he thought it would help me and he didn’t want the boys to get noticed and stop my treatment because of them being mobbed; he had just gone out of the room to get the medication.

Harry had carried me inside last night after I fell asleep in the car on the way back from the zoo, he had also come around first thing this morning to try and take my mind off the treatment I was about to have. Every time I thought about yesterday and how much fun I had with the boys a huge grin appeared on my face and it helped to cheer me up slightly.

“Right Daisy, we’re going to be putting you on three drugs. The first is a tablet called Procarbazine, you should take one tablet every ten days” he said handing me a tablet and a glass of water. The tablet was pink but pretty big compared to any other I had taken, I took my hand out of Harry’s and put the round object in my mouth while taking a sip of water. I swallowed it, and suddenly got a taste of it; it was probably the worst thing I had tasted so far in my life. Harry laughed ever so slightly at my reaction before taking hold of my hand once again.

“Some of the side effects of the tablet include, sickness, flu symptoms, depression, lack of energy and tiredness, so just be aware of these in a few hours’ time when it will start to kick in” I nodded, boy that was a lot of side effects and for just one tablet, but I guess it would be worth it in the end when hopefully I am tumour free. Harry’s forehead was creased as he took it all in; I glanced briefly at the other boys who were all mirroring his expression. Niall saw me looking and stuck his thumbs up to say I was doing great.

“The next drug is possibly the worst out of the three for the pure fact that it has to given through the vein. It’s called Carmustine and this is injected into the body you might feel a tingling sensation but it’s a perfectly normal reaction” Dr Holt said, my grip on Harry’s hand tightened  and I looked at him with a wave of panic as I saw the needle, it was huge compared to the other one I’d had.

The nurse who was helping came over and rubbed some numbing cream on the area and soon enough I couldn’t feel part of my arm and as the needle edged neared I looked at my mum wide eyed, she came over and held my other hand. Harry looked at me and I looked back as the doctor injected me with the drug. I distracted myself by looking over Harry’s perfect features and I didn’t even feel it go in thanks to the numbing cream, only when it had been removed did I start to feel the tingles.

They went all up my arm as the drug started to spread through my blood stream, it didn’t necessarily hurt it was just uncomfortable. The nurse asked if I could feel them and I just nodded trying not to concentrate on the thing running through my body at that very moment in time.

“We have to wait half an hour for the drug to spread around your body before we can administer any other drugs. If the boys can distract you I’m sure that will help you” Dr Holt said looking at them and they all nodded in sync.