Dear Nobody,

Finding time to actually sit down and write is harder with Maya around. That little 7-year-old is a handful. She's chatty, messy, and even random at times but I like having to take care of someone besides myself. She keeps me busy, so busy I can't think.

But she's sleeping now. I guess singing and playing with plastic dolls all throughout the 14-hour car ride is exhausting to humans. It was time for me to move from that small town that held bad memories. I didn't want people to be suspicious about the sudden "death" of Michael, my ex-warlock boyfriend, and how I adopted his little sister.

But with moving to a new town comes meeting new people, people I'm going to have to lie to. Years before Maya, before Michael, I wouldn't have cared about adjusting my "identity" when I changed locations and I would have fed from any human in close range, never thinking about the consequences. Now with Maya, she reminds me that I was human once. I look human at least.

Moving into a new town, people are going to see two orphaned children, Jewels (a fake name) and Maya, living off their parent's leftover money from selling their house. Well, at least that's the story I'm giving because I can't tell them that I'm a 515-year-old vampire. I can't tell them that I was born in 1483 but "died" at 16.

No matter how low I get, how heartless I am at times, I would never tell them that. Because saying it aloud is acceptance. Saying it aloud makes it true to me.

It seems like every letter I write is identical to the last. I don't know why I do this: write all of this to then put it in an envelope with a stamp even though I have no intention of sending this to someone when I know there is no one. The storage bin where all these are kept is getting full. I love looking at it, though. All my deepest thoughts are in there. Names of everyone I have ever loved, now long gone, are stored in there. Half of my heart and soul is stored in there. And the rest surrounds Maya. Now thinking about it, what do I have? Oh right.

A lonely, soulless eternity.

Sincerely, Jewels.