Chapter 48: Baptism....

A/n: My recollection of a baptism ceremony isn't the best... just remember that.

***Baptism***

All their family was gathered outside, almost everyone from the Reservation were present as well as the Elders and the priest. The Cullen's decided that they wouldn't invite any other family especially after what happened last time. The family came out of the house and each took their seats. Edward, Jacob, Anthony, Paul and Rosalie sat in the front row on the left side while Seth, Emmett, Alice, Jasper sat behind them in the second row. Billy, Mrs Clearwater, Carlisle, Esme', Emily and Sam sat in the front row on the right side in that order. Everyone else sat behind the family.

The tribal priest got up from his seat besides the Elders and walked to the front.

Priest: Can the baby and godparents please join me.

Edward handed Anthony to Paul as he and Rosalie stood.

The priest drew a cross on Anthony's forehead with oil and then told Paul and Rosalie to do it too.

Priest: What name have you given this baby?

R: Anthony Ephraim Cullen-Black.

Priest: Godmother, you need to place your right hand on the baby. (And Rosalie did without hesitation)

Priest: Beloved in the Lord, when the Saviour sent his Apostles. And now I ask thee, dost thou desire to obtain eternal life in the Church of God through faith in Jesus Christ?

P: I do.

Rosalie: I do.

Priest: The Lord himself hath said: "This is life eternal, that they may know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind and they neighbour as thyself.

And then the priest lowered his head and breathed on the child and said:

Priest: May the powers of darkness, which the divine Redeemer hath vanquished by his cross, retire by thee, that thou mayest see to what hope, and to what an exceeding glorious inheritance among the saints, thou art called.

And then the priest asks everyone to bow their heads as he leads them into prayer. When he is done praying he picks up the small cross and turns back to Anthony. He then signs his forehead and breast while saying:

Priest: Receive on thy forehead the sign of the holy cross, to remind thee that thou love from thy heart him who hath died on the cross for thee, and that as he bids thee thou shouldest take up thy cross and follow him.

Then he prays again.

Then he turns around and pours salt into the palm of his hands and then signs it with the cross and then places it on Anthony's tongue, Anthony makes a funny face making his parents and godparents smile.

Priest: Anthony, receive this salt as an emblem of wisdom; the Lord grant it thee unto everlasting life. Amen.

Now he also places his right hand on Anthony and starts praying.

Priest: (He turned now addressing the parents and godparents) Sign yourselves now with the sign of the holy cross in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, and learn the words of the holy gospel, written by the Evangelist S. Mark.

Priest: Peace be with you. Let us now repeat the Creed, which has been used in the church since the Apostle's time, as a short summary of the chief points of the doctrine of Christ, and then the Lord's Prayer. (The whole family joined in as they recited the Creed and the prayer.