Chapter Nineteen: Declaration

Vi hadn't come back yet. Dammit, he could have just told me he didn't feel like helping me instead of running off. Now I had to cook an entire dinner by myself. That's fine, I didn't hate to cook. I just wish there was a faster way. Emily sat in a chair in the adjoining dining room, humming softly to herself as she set the table. I glanced over in her direction to examine her work. Something was missing from the display she had made.

"Ems? What about the glasses?" I asked, taking a moment to taste the glaze I had been carefully stirring on the stovetop. Today's dish was cottage-style ham, and therefore pretty salty. It would help to make it a little sweeter with a sugar maple topping. Besides, from what she heard from Vi, Josh was a fan of sweet things. Who would have guessed?

"On it!" Emily shouted, dragging a chair across the floor to reach the top shelf.

"Careful, we don't want anything broken, okay?"

Emily didn't answer. She was too busy standing on her tiptoes and attempting to reach the delicate wine glasses above.

Thats when it started. A loud thumping noise from upstairs that rattled the very shelves in the cupboard. Glasses toppled over and fell, crashing to the ground in deafening waves.

Upon instinct I dragged the young girl away from them, afterwards trying to catch as many falling glasses as I could, which was only about three of the five. We waited, Emily in my arms for what seemed like hours on end, until she stepped out of my embrace, signaling that she wanted her teddy bear. I allowed her to walk to the table where the old bear sat as I set the surviving dinnerware back on their shelves for the time being before reaching for the broom.

"...What in the hell was that?" I muttered to myself as I crouched down to sweep up the glass.

"Now that's what ah like ta see!"

Oh great. Of all people...

"And what would that be?" I muttered through my teeth. Why is it that every time he opens hus smug mouth, he manages to piss me off? It's truly a talent of his.

Just find your happy place just find it don't cause any trouble just ignore him and keep working...

"A woman workin' in th' kitchen of course! Where ya belong!" He yelled triumphantly.

What a jerkoff.

"Ah mean, th' pathetic wife role really suits ya, chickie!"

The wooden broom handle snapped in my hands. Huh...They really needed to make those things stronger. I stood and dropped the useless broom, hands clenched at my sides.

Screw my happy place, I just wanted to kick this guy's ass!

"You know," I started, crouching down to pick up the snapped handle. "Sometimes I think you enjoy pissing me off..."

I began to twirl the broom in my hands. "Is this some sort of sick game? How you get your kicks? huh?"

Washington backed off, eyes widening. He knew he had gone too far, and he also knew that he wouldn't be able to get out of bed when I was done with him. I smirked and stepped forward, causing him to make a mad dash in the opposite direction.

"Think I'm gonna let you get away!?" I screamed, adrenaline pumping through my veins as I chased after him, broken broom handle held high in the air.

"Come over here so I can kick your smug country ass!" I screamed. At that moment I used the handle as a javelin and tossed it Washington's way, at about the same time he was turning a corner.

The loud crashing sound in my ears was satisfying, to say the least. The handle caused a hole in the wall and it stuck there, preventing the coal haired jackass from running any further. I stepped closer and he instinctively backed up against the wood, screaming his lungs out.