Chapter Four: Secrets In The Boiler Room

"Hey, runt! Freshman! KID!"

I snapped back into reality for the third time that morning, making an embarrassing 'huh' sound every time. Washington was there, snapping his finger in my face. I pushed his hand away.

"You alright? You're a total space cadet today. Don't tell me the the patients gave you insomnia."

Wash wrinkled his nose at Amberlynn, as if he had just swallowed something nasty.

"Insom-what? Speak english, would ya?"

Amber rolled her eyes and thrusted her fork at him, giggling as he fell out of his chair.

"It's a mental condition that doesn't allow you to sleep, retard." She said, rolling her eyes again. "But I wouldn't expect a testosterone-filled ape to know that."

Before they could start an argument, the speaker system sounded in the room.

"Joshua Siris and Caretaking, please report to the manager's office. That's Joshua Siris and Caretaking, please report..."

"Ohhh shit. What did ya two do this time? Better go see 'im, before he rips yer arm off."

I stood, told Wash I would be right back, and made my way to the office with Amber, chewing my lip the entire time.

"So, mister Siris, what made you enter room four oh three last night?"

I stood in a lone chair, staring directly at the cold, golden eyes before me. Amberlynn was told to get the video footage from the previous night.

"I-I didn't...Did I?"

"Mister Siris, why would you lie when there's proof on the security camera?"

Amber came in, rolling the heavy, old TV on a rolling table. She held up the DVD disk. I could clearly see yesterday's date on the front. I gulped and once again, started that nervous habit of chewing my lower lip. However, something caught my eye. Amber winked at me. I raised an eyebrow, not understanding what she had up her sleeve. Which, I might add, was quite clever. The manager stood, placing the disk in the player and pressing the play button. But what came next...Well, I don't think you want to know.

There, on the screen was the manager himself. He was wearing...a skimpy red lace lingerie? And he seemed to be holding a microphone. He was clearly drunk out of his senses, as I could see him sway and his words were jumbled and slurred.

"DO YOU BELIIIEEEEEVE IN LIFE AFTER~OVE! I BELIEEEEVE...UH~CAN'T REMEMBER THE REST--STRONG ENOUGH NO!"

The manager had his eyes glued to the screen, completely shocked. Obviously he didn't know that his little stunt was caught on video. By the caretaker herself. Amber began to laugh as the mans face got redder and redder. Not only from embarrassment, but also due to the fact that Amber had recorded the entire thing. Before he could scream and shout at us, the Caretaker grabbed my wrist and darted out of there.

By the time we were far enough, we were both laughing so hard we were crying. We had hid in the boiler room all the way across the building.

"Oh!...Oh man! That's gonna haunt me for weeks! We are so fired!" Amber shouted, holding her stomach as she tried ( And failed ) to stop laughing. She wiped a tear from her eye. I chuckled.

"I didn't know the manager was that laid back!" I shouted. The redhead laughed again, placing a hand on my shoulder and staring directly at me.

"So, seriously now. Why did you enter the most dangerous room in the asylum? You've made me curious."

My heart was in my throat. Should I tell her? After all, she did save my ass back there. I looked off into the distance, starting the debate in my mind...

"You know...I only work here because of that one patient." She said sadly, bowing her head in shame. I tilted my head in question.

"What? Do you have a crush on him or something?" Something clicked in my mind, and all of a sudden I felt as though I couldn't trust this girl. I felt...Hate for her.

"Eww! You pervert! That's not it! The truth is..."

Amber's voice wavered slightly. She stepped back, hands behind her back as she turned around, her back facing me. Amber clenched her fists at her sides. They were trembling now.

"The truth is...That patient is..."

She turned around, and I could now see the tears in her eyes, reflected off the red tinted light of the room.

"That patient...Is my brother."