Chapter Nine: Lockdown

"Your lover awaits!" Emily beamed, pointing towards the door.

"He's not my--I mean, it's not like...What are you talking about, Emily?" I asked, biting the inside of my cheek. This was bad. If he saw me here, it would make it worse! I had to--

"EMILY! NO!" Amberlynn's shriek echoed, making me jump. I turned towards where she reached out for her just as the metal door closed.

Emily had stepped inside. This was bad. Anyone who entered almost always ended up with major wounds. I had to get her out of there! But I couldn't draw attention to myself. If I went inside and came out without a scratch, they would know SOMETHING was up. I bit down on my cheek again, tasting the familiar iron taste of my blood. There was only one thing to do in this situation.

"You guys keep watch. I'm going inside to save Emily."

Snickers sounded, and despite them being worried about the raven-haired child, they didn't seem to be buying my story. I rolled my eyes, giving them a 'Guys, seriously? Not now' look.

"I'll explain later. It's not what you think." I said before stumbling into the blood-scented darkness.

I could faintly hear Emily's voice at the back of the cell. As if she were trying hard to stay quiet. What in the world could she be mumbling about?

As I drew closer, I reached for my taser. Which, not surprisingly, wasn't there. I sighed, but it ended in a small gasp of surprise as I was yanked backward from my position, stumbling until I fell on my behind with a loud THUD.

"Keep it down..." The familiar haunting voice whispered softly in my ear. I had to bite my lip to stop from screaming and lashing out at him.

"Ninety Eight...Ninety Nine...One Hundred! Ready or not here I come!" Emily shouted, dashing around the cell in a happy tornado of excitement. I gave the patient a look.

"...Poor thing was alone...The least I could do was provide her with company for all these years in isolation..." He whispered.

"Well well," I gave him a sly smile. "Looks like you have a soft spot for children."

"...I've built up a tolerance." He replied, smiling lightly.

"ONE TWO THREE ON VI! FOUND YOU!" Emily giggled, reaching up to hug the Patient from behind. He hesitated before reaching a hand up to pat her head. It seemed odd that he wasn't hurting her in any way. In fact, he seemed alright with Emily. Perhaps they were cellmates?

A distant voice stopped the three of us in our tracks. It seemed as though Amberlynn was yelling at someone. And for once, Washington was on her side. I placed a finger to my lips, urging Emily to be quiet, and inched closer to the conversation, out of eyesight.

"...Told you, there are people in there! You can't just lock them inside!"

"What kinda person are yah, lockin' a little brat and a fellow worker inside a cell holding a madman prisoner!?"

"Sorry, but they brought it upon themselves. This cell is being put on lockdown. This patient is far too dangerous to be negotiating with."

I turned to look at Emily, who was giving me a sad, teary-eyed look and clinging to her bear like she always did. I motioned for her to follow, placing a finger to my lips and telling her to be as quiet as possible.

"What's going on Joshy? Why do they say Vi is dangerous?" Emily asked, frowning up at me. I sighed. She had NO idea.

"Nevermind that." I said. "We need to get out of here. Before we're trapped." I sighed, ruffling her black hair.

"What about Vi? Are we coming back to save him? He doesn't like it here, Joshy! He doesn't want--"

"Shh! I promise we'll go back for him. Right now, we have to get out of here!" I interrupted, unaware at the time that I had made a promise. I beckoned her closer to the door.

"Please! Please let the others out! If he's so dangerous, then why are you locking the two of them inside with him--"

"Ma'am, I assure you those two are probably dead." The guard said to Amber. I could read the expression of hate and frustration in her eyes. Washington then made his move, grabbing the guard by the collar and slamming him into the nearest wall.

"Listen up, YANKEE. Y'may not know this, but we jus' might'ave proof that th' loony in THAT cell isn't so crazy after all."

"What are you--" The guard cut himself off and reached into his belt to grab his walkie-talkie. Washington gave him a glare.

"Don't even THINK about it, runt."

"You think I'd listen to you?" The guard replied, a sly smile on his face. He held the speaker in front of his mouth and clicked the button, but before he could even take a breath Washington slammed him into the wall again.

"Don't."

Another hit, harder this time.

"Even."

Yet another.

"Think."

And another.

"About it."

He let go, and the guard bent to pick up the small device, when suddenly...

"I got it!" Emily ran out the cell door, stealing the walkie-talkie from the ground and running off behind Amber, who was now whispering words of relief to the girl. I followed a split second behind, pinning the guard's arms and stumbling every so often as he struggled to get free.

"Emily! The walkie-talkie!" I shouted. She nodded and slammed it onto the ground, stomping on it in attempts to break it into pieces.

"Hey! Girl! What are you doing!?" Another guard, smaller than the one being pinned, shouted from down the hall. Three others joined him as they ran towards us, drawing their weapons. Tasers. I should have known.

One swiped at me. I dodged, just barely feeling the metalic spikes of the weapon brush my clothes. Another aimed for my back. I spun, using the guard I was pinning as a human shield. I watched as he dropped to the ground with a satisfying THUD.

While the attacker reloaded his weapon, I decided to focus on the other three.

"Washington! Behind--" Too late. Wash had fallen. I cursed under my breath, reached out to grab both Emily and Amber's wrists, and ran down the hall. Guard two and three were busy checking for Washington's pulse, so that left the two others chasing the three of us down the hall.

If only I had my taser.

I was so stupid. Why did I let the Patient have it?

"Subject seen heading towards the north end of the building. Block him off at all possible exits." Guard four spoke into his device as he ran. I cursed again and banked a hard left, towards the cafeteria.

"Split up!" I shouted to the two as I let go of their hands.

"What? But--"

"I have explaining to do, I know. I'll do that later. Just take Emily and RUN, Amber!"

She hesitated, looking behind her and realizing there was no time. She then took Emily by the hand and took off with her, leaving me to fend for myself.

Which is just what I was going to do.

I had no weapon, so the only other option was a tranquilizer pistol.

...Which I didn't get until my next promotion. Crap.

I was screwed.

"Where did they go? Take left, I'll take right." The guard said. I banked left, into the cafeteria and behind the back row of the tables.

The only thing left to do was wait...