Chapter Twelve: Realization

Night had fallen on the campground. I was told to keep watch, since we weren't too far from the asylum quite yet, and I was the one who had gotten the most sleep the previous night.

...Correction, I was forced to keep watch. Sometimes I think Amber is more of a threat than the patient.

We had moved further into the forest for cover, leaving the patient alone to gaze at the moon. I think it was about time I checked on him.

Woah, hold on. Every time he catches you alone, you end up getting hurt. Better bring something along.

For once, I decided to side with my inner voice. Perhaps it would stop me from falling into another of the Patient's...traps. A twig or tree branch wouldn't do, and the only weapon I had was my taser.

Wait, Washington has been around for a couple years. Perhaps he had a handheld weapon I could borrow off him.

I crouched beside the snoring heap, carefully tugging on the holster holding the pistol. Eventually I managed to tug it free. Wash stirred, rolling over onto his side, and--unfortunately--onto my arms. I tugged free, landing on me behind a few steps away and wincing as the loud clicking sound of a tumbling gun awoke him. He stirred again, blinking away the sleepiness in his vision.

 I slipped the gun into the empty taser pocket of my belt. By that time I was already running.

It didn't take me long to find him. A part of me knew where he would be all along. And there he sat on the top of a small rocky cliff with a single tree, eyes focused on the full moon before him. I took a deep calming breath, watching him from a distance. He looked upset about something...I didn't blame him. He lost his home, his parents, and his memories. He had nothing. He was alone. A freak among civilization.

"How much longer are you going to stand there?" He asked, facing the moon directly.

"Just long enough for you to tell me what's going on. You're acting strange--" I paused. 'strange' wasn't actually the best word. "--er than usual." I added quickly.

"...So you noticed?"

The patient took a quick glance in my direction, patting the ground beside him. I took a seat, discretely holding the handle of the pistol in my other hand. If he tried anything, I would be ready for it.

"...Look over there, my love. Tell me what you see."

"Why? There's nothing there--"

"--Look closer." He snapped, giving me a glare. I sighed.

"Fine..." I squinted ahead, watching as a small light in the distance flickered red, then blue. I strained my ears to hear the faint sounds of sirens over the horizon.

"...I see lights." I muttered. "...And I hear sirens...That's probably the asylum over there, looking for us. We're too far away for them to see us so we have at least a day before--"

 "--It was all I had left..." He whispered. "I've lost everything...My home, my sanity...even my family has been taken from me..."

At that moment, I realized what he was getting to. Could it be possible? Did the asylum let us escape, to make sure the patient was never well enough to leave?

But...Why? What made him so important? 

If that were true, then the next person they would take from the patient was...

A shrill scream in the distance confirmed my thoughts. I glanced over at the patient.

"Sister!" He shouted as he took off into the forest.

I followed behind. Amberlynn was in trouble!