Chapter Sixteen: Sealed With A Promise

I briefly looked down to my hands, noting the crimson-colour they cradled so perfectly. The red liquid pooled to the center of my palms, taking refuge in the creases of my skin...

Blood. It was blood that had stained them. It was blood that had scared so many away from me...The warmth of their life slipping away...It terrifies them, to see so much red. So much life...

But why?

"I don't understand..." I whispered. "I don't get why...Life scares people so much."

A hand touched mine, soaking in the liquid, tainting it's innocent skin.

"Life is a fragile thing...It is what people protect the most...yet it is so easy for us to take it from them..."

I turned to the voice, staring into his ice blue eyes.

"Easy for me, not you..." I replied, recieving only a confused stare and a tilt of the head.

"Anything is easy for me..."  He replied. "As long as we do it together, we can accomplish anything...We can even try to get out of here--"

"--Joshua..." I whispered. "Please stop. I don't want you to stoop to my level. So please..." I swallowed, bowing my head and allowing my black hair to hang in front of my face. "Make me a promise..."

He once again took his hands in mine. They felt...Warm, in contrast. As if they were being warmed up after a day of playing in the snow.

"I promise..." He started, giving a cocky smile that almost made me feel like laughing.

"I promise...To never, ever ignore anything you tell me to do. I am your pawn. I promise when we get out of here, we'll do it together...And also..."

Joshua pressed his forehead to mine.

"I want you to know that...I'll never leave you alone. I'll always find my way back to you, no matter what. Even if we're seperated. Even if it takes a million years...I won't stop until I find you."

I frowned lightly. "It sounds like you're going to leave me...What if you forget?"

"Even if I forget, I'll always find a way to remember...Keep that in mind--"

The door to the cell swung open with a deafening shriek, making us both jump. He jumped behind me, hiding himself from the view of the security. However, his attempts failed.

The burly men took him by the arms and yanked him into sight.

"Send him into isolation."

The next words struck my heart at full force. Everything that happened next was all a blur.

"NO!"

I launched myself forward, screaming after the brunette, but something like a brick wall knocked me back, sending an intense jolt of pain through the side of my head. The next thing I knew, I was on the floor, head throbbing. Nevertheless, I got back up and charged forward, stopping only as I reached the end of my chain.

"HE DOESN'T DESERVE THIS! LET HIM GO!"

Pins and needles stung my throat, heart, and eyes as I saw the last sad smile on his face, slowly dissapearing from sight as he was carried off.

"I will always find you...Always..."

******************************************

 My eyes jolted open.