Chapter Fifteen B: Recovery

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Alycatv7! And thanks for all your support! =3

~ Alycia

----------------------------------------------------

I had gotten to work on cooking the deer Vi had caught. I wasn't much of a chef, but following Vi's instructions, I slowly turned the now skewered animal--Using a branch stripped of it's bark--over the roaring fire, while the patient went to look for the beehive he saw earlier, for a honey marinade. It was about this time when Amberlynn came in, holding a sleepy Emily in her arms.

"Oh...You're up." She smiled. "Breakfast?"

"Not my idea." I said. "Vi thought it would be better if we all ate something to get our strength up."

Amber raised an eyebrow. "You can cook?"

I shrugged. "Not really. I'm not the one cooking right now."

She hesitated, frowning lightly.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah...What's your name again? Must have slipped my mind or something."

I blinked. "I'm Joshua Siris...A friend of yours. Don't you remember?"

Amber frowned. "I don't know a Joshua."

I stepped forward, placing my hands on her shoulders, looking straight into her eyes. "Think hard, Amberlynn. The drugs they injected into you are takling effect. Try hard to remember what has happened recently."

She furrowed her brow, setting Emily down. Instantly she clung to my side.

"Joshy...She doesn't remember me either..." Emily whispered.

It was then when Washington walked into the chaos, letting out a big, long, obnoxious yawn.

"Mornin'." He said simply, sitting against a tree. I gave him a look before turning to Amber.

"Remember the asylum? We escaped with your brother, who was being held as a patient and now we're headed to your friend's cottage to take refuge...Against the security chasing us." I said softly.

Washington frowned. "Yeh, we've been through that runt. No need tah remind us."

I gave him a 'shut up' look. "She doesn't remember. The injection she had earlier is taking effect."

"Really?!" Washington shot up, brushing off his jeans.

"In that case..." He mumbled, walking towards Amber with a completely serious face.

"Do yah remember me?"

Amber raised an eyebrow. "And who might you be?"

He gasped, placing both hands over his heart. "Ah'm hurt! Yah don't remember yer own hubby?!" He asked, taking Emily in his arms. The young girl began to whine and writhe in his grip. "What about our child!? Do yah remember her at least?!"

Emily shrieked. "NOOOOO! Put me down! DOWN! Good for nothing, testosterone filled sack of meat! PUT ME DOWN NOW!"

CRACK!

Amber smacked Washington across the face. Hard. I had to cringe and turn away.

"YOU TAKE ME FOR A FOOL!?" She shouted, ripping Emily from his arms. "I won't deny that she's mine," She started, smiling at the girl. "She talks like me. But having a filthy, sloppy, lazy, grammatically incorrect redneck of a husband such as yourself? I wouldn't even think of saying a word to you!"