Chapter Ten: Depression

"Come out and show yourself!" The guard demanded, searching the cafeteria with only a flashlight as his guide. Night had fallen, and for once I was glad I had spent so many nights in the darkness of the Patient's cell. I had the advantage of sight. He shone the flashlight in my direction, and as quickly as he had moved, I had shifted into another spot. I had to lose him and find the others soon. I knew they were more vulnerable at night, and at a greater risk for keeping my secret.

But how would I lose this joker?

"...Simple, my love~ Just do what I tell you..."

I jumped, looking around for the faint voice I had just heard. The familiar, sadistic chuckle that followed after told me exactly who it was.

"Surprised? That makes two..."

"How in the hell?" I whispered, looking around the room yet again. "Where are you?" I hissed. "You're going to get me in even more trouble. Go back until I come back for you!"

A high pitched ringing sounded in my ears, making me bite my lip and squeeze my eyes shut to keep from yelping in agony. I held my head.

"Don't you EVER tell me what to do! Now, listen to what I have to say..."

"Or what?" I hissed. The ringing sounded again, and I pressed my hands to my ears. Something warm and thick trickled through my fingers. I could practically see the smile of amusement on the patient's face, burned in my mind.

"Or by the time you get out of here, you'll be DEAF. Now, follow forward, towards the flashlight beam."

"But that'll get me--"

"Do you trust me?"

"But--"

"I said, do you trust me?"

Of course I didn't trust him. But what else was I supposed to do? He was the escape master, not me. I sighed and proceeded forward. Not too far, just on the outside of the beam.

"Good. You see him now? Get behind him. I'll show you a little trick. I'm sure you'll be impressed~"

I mentally sighed to myself, staying just outside the flashlight beam. As I walked, the Patient explained what I ws doing. Apparantly, I was walking just outside the guard's line of vision. His blind spot. He was right, I was quite impressed he knew all of this. Just where did he learn it? And where could I learn a good chunk of it for future reference?

I stood, about four feet away from the guard's back.

"Now what?" I whispered.

"Simple, really...Take the switchblade from his back pocket, and slit his throat."

I swallowed. I had to kill him?!

"Can't I just stun him? You know, with his taser?"

"You're going to be here for a while, and both you and I aren't quite sure how long he would stay unconscious. Also, his little friends might find him laying there, and once he awakened he would have evidence that you're still in the building. They think you escaped, you see. Otherwise there would me more than one lackey looking around."

He had a valid point. But did I really have the guts to stain my hands? Did I have the courage to become equal with the patients, grieve over the death of a co-worker, and possibly become one myself? This was crazy!

I stepped forward, inches from the guard as I carefully slipped the blade from his pocket. I examined it, pricking my finger on the tip and drawing a bead of fresh red blood.

"Well, what are you waiting for?"

I sent a silent apology to the man in front of me. I then hooked my arm under his chin, revealing his pale skinned throat. He made a startled choking sound and I pressed the knife to his skin in an instant. He looked at me with glassy, merciful eyes. I hated that look. I hated how I could see my reflection in his tears. The reflection with two faces...Mine, and his.