Chapter Twenty One: Gemini

So here I am, walking slowly back towards the asylum building. I didn't like this at all, but according to what Amber told me in secret and the vague instructions Vi had given, it was necessary. I was the only one who could do this.

"Joshua. You're aware that you are their most precious subject, right?"

I hesitantly nodded at the redhead. "They tried hard to keep it a secret...If I remember correctly. Obviously if it was a secret then I must be pretty precious to them."

"Think." She said simply. "Why would they let their treasure escape so easily?"

I gripped the 9mm pistol on my belt. Washington had given it to me, in case I needed to make a quick getaway. Oh, and the taser that had been stolen from me so many times? I had that back too, despite how much Vi adored the tool. I was surprised he parted with the old thing. Which didn't help my nerves much. After all, if I was given so many weapons, it meant the security around the place was tighter than usual.

"Listen to me." Vi said, making sure to look me in the eye. "I know you don't want to go back there, but there's no other choice."

I rolled my eyes. THAT was probably the understatement of the year.

"Joshua. This is serious."

I read the expression on his face. Despite how much he tried to hide it, I could read the intense amounts of worry. Never in my life have I seen him that scared for my safety.

"I need to to infiltrate the building for me. Since you're important to them, they can't kill you or stop you from finding out what they have planned. We'd all be relying on you, Joshua. Your downfall could cost us our lives. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Before I could protest, my voice seemed to act on it's own.

"Count me in."

"Good." He said, reaching to place a hand on my shoulder. I flinched, but left it there. "I won't be coming with you. So I want you to have this."

Something cold was placed into my palm. Vi closed my fist around the object and squeezed my hands before pulling away with a little bit of effort. I looked down at the object and smiled. The taser he had taken from me sat there, looking as old and scratched as it did when he first took it. I smiled gratefully and began to head out the door.

"Wait."

I paused, turning around to see Vi closing the space between us. Before I knew what was coming a soft kiss was planted on my lips. It lasted until both our lungs screamed for oxygen, however he was the first to pull away. I avoided eye contact and pretended to fix the weapons around my belt.

"Be careful." He said simply. I smiled lightly in return.

"You really think I won't come back?" I asked, punching him lightly in the arm to rid myself of the awkward feeling that still settled in the pit of my stomach.

"You're right." He smiled back. "Just don't forget, okay?"

"Even if I forget," I grabbed his hand in a reasurring grip. "Somehow, I'll always find a way to remember."

I shook my head. Now was not the time to look back on final goodbyes. I was here for a reason, and that was to save my friends.

I looked out into the distance, where I could see three guards at the front door. This was where I was headed. It was easier this way. I didn't trigger alarms, and I still had my acess key. Any other point in the building would have easily given me away. So that meant I had to rid myself of the guards here.