Chapter Six: Eyes In The Past

"So I says to 'im: If yer pickin' a fight wit me, ya better have a bucket tah carry yer teeth back home in. Am I right, runt?"

Washington elowed me in the arm, hitting one of the gauze-wrapped wounds under my sleeve. I winced and tried to make it sound like I was actually in on the conversation between him and a few workers.

"Huh? Oh, yeah...Okay, Wash." I mumbled, poking at my food with a fork. The truth was, I was too busy thinking about the patient. I had been doing that a lot lately; there was so much I needed to find out.

So far, I've had no luck with the search. Amber could only tell me so much, and I couldn't turn to the patient himself. That would be suicide. I couldn't even talk to him without getting hurt or getting a mouthful of his tongue.

Not that I didn't want to see him or anything...

"See, Emily? This is the reason men are so primitive to us girls. Remember that, okay?"

Amber walked up to the group of us. In front of her was a sickly looking child with black hair that was just short enough to frame her face. She wore a white nightie, no shoes,and carried a beaten, old looking teddy bear with a missing eye. Scrapes and scars were clearly visible on the child's ankles. A patient, no doubt.

"Ohhh..." The girl said softly, looking at Wash and the others like they were science expiriments.

"Boys are stupid, dumb apes!" She shouted. I chuckled at the girl. To be honest, she looked harmless. Cute, even. But I knew better not to judge a patient.

"Looks like you found yourself a little apprentice." I commented, reaching out to ruffle the girl's hair. She giggled at me, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Don't be teachin' her how ta strip, now."

Washington's comment earned him a fork in the hand. He yelped and pulled it away, only to have the other hand stabbed by Emily.

"Jeesus, what are ya teachin' this kid?!"

"Just how to fight off Rednecks like you."

"Rednecks! Rednecks!" Emily shouted, reaching across the table to try and stab Washington again. Amber lifted her up and the child shrieked happily.

"She's so cute. And now that she's cured from her trauma, she will be bunking with me for a while."

"Jus make sure ta keep th' kid outta danger. And don't come cryin' ta me when patient 403 makes 'is move and ya hafta clean up her blood an' guts."

"And don't come crying to me when you wake up tomorrow and both your balls are missing." Amber snapped back, walking off with Emily in her arms.

"That girl's gonna be th' death of me..." Washington mumbled, grimacing and rubbing the back of his hand. I stifled a chuckle.

"You started it." I replied. He seemed to start all of the little arguments I came across. I sighed, resting my head in my hand. With that over, how was I going to get information on patient 403? The only other person who had been close enough to talk to him--Well,you know, the only other alive person--was the worker I had replaced when I got here.

Now that I mentioned it...

"...Hey Wash...Didn't I replace one of the workers when I arrived?"

"Yeh, ya did. Not much of a talker, that one...In fact one time th' mouse freaked out 'cause one o' th' guys started harpin' on 403...Think he was allied with 'im or somethin'...Ha! Jus' kiddin'! That's impossible! He's a loonie--"

"HE'S NOT CRAZY!"

I stood, slamming my hands on the surface of the table. My outburst caught the attention of the entire cafeteria.

"Yeah, like that. Now sit, runt...Yer kinda makin' a scene..." Washington's eyes were wide as he grabbed my arm and coaxed me to sit down. I tore away from his grasp, turned around with a glare, and ran away from the scene.

As fast as my legs could carry me.

I dropped to my knees as soon as I arrived at the hallway at the other side of the building, exhausted. The wounds on my arms ached and throbbed as I took each painful breath.

"Oh man...What was that all about? I completely freaked out on my best friend! What is going on?!"

Something rustling caught my attention. I turned my head, and in front of me was a boarded door with a piece of paper. A note, flapping in a draft that seemed to come from nowhere.

I stood and tore the stapled paper off. I recognised the handwriting immediately.

"I dont know what for, but you've been asking a lot of questions about the guy who worked here before you lately. Well, this was his old office. Everything you need to know is locked up in here."

~ Amberlynn <3

I placed the note in my pocket and tried to tug the door open. I felt pretty stupid seeing as I didn't see the crowbar lying against the wall beside the door. I pried the boards open, stepped inside and switched on the light.

Everything was coated in a thick layer of dust. It looked as though no one had been in there for years. I decided to rummage through the drawers of the small corner desk. Nothing but old envelopes and check papers. Well, duh. I didn't expect one to keep information in their desk when there was a computer sitting right there, seemingly untouched.

I turned it on, and it prompted me with a password. Wait, I was pretty sure I saw a code in one of the drawers. I double checked and yep, there was a code there.

Wow, this guy must be pretty stupid to leave his password in his desk.

Just then, something happened. A blog appeared on screen. I shrugged. Might as well read into it.

Monday, April 21, 2010

That voice...HIS voice. It's driving me insane. I hear it every night before I go to sleep, and every time I pass through that hallway. I can't take it anymore! I know I'm not supposed to enter that room, but I have to! I have to see if he's okay! I just know he forgot about me--

Another window popped onto the screen, and my eyes widened in pure fear.

No peeking, Joshua~