Chapter Eleven: Freedom

Before I could even open my eyes, a crash sounded in the hallway. The door to my cell swung open and I sat up wearily, rubbing my eyes.

"No time tah sleep, runt! We gotta get outta here! Fast!"

Washington grabbed my arm and tugged me out into the hallway. Bodies lay strewn across the floor. Dead? Or just passed out?

"Tired? We can sleep when we get there..."

"Get where?" I replied, stifling a yawn. I was getting used to seeing the patient around. He seemed to follow me wherever I went. It irritated me, but I was too groggy to argue right now.

"I know a friend outside of the area who owns a cabin. We can bunk there. She's out on vacation for about a month, so that gives us plenty of time to hide." Amber said. "We have to hurry, that last one called in backup."

I nodded, shook the sleepiness off and headed down the hallway, the others following behind. I banked a left, but Washington yanked me back. He pointed ahead to a silhouette in a nearby window. A crowd of people in the conference room. Not good. I nodded and banked right with the others. Just as we were going to turn another corner, voices stopped us in our tracks. Amber pulled us back, pressing a finger to her lips. She held up a hand, as if to say 'stay here' and rounded the corner. I did my best to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"So I said...Huh? The janitor? I thought you were locked up with the others."

"Well, someones gotta clean the place, and I don't see any other janitors around. Now move aside, I need to mop this floor." She pushed the two aside and headed for a nearby closet to get...a mop and bucket. She was kidding, right? Let's hope she knew what she was doing, because now wasn't the time to be cleaning.

"What are you doing?" I mouthed. Amber heldup a finger. 'Wait a minute'.

She proceeded to mop the floor around the two, humming to herself as she did so. Amber managed to get between the two. She raides the handle of the mop and brought it down on one's forehead. He stumbled backwards, slipping on the wet floor and falling onto his back. A hollow sound told me that the back of his head had connected with the hard floor.

"Oops...My hand must have slipped." She stared at the body for a few seconds before swinging around behind the other worker. Before he had a chance to turn his head she had jabbed the end of the mop handle at the start of his neck, making him collapse.

"All clear guys. Let's go." She said, returning the mop and bucket to the closet and pocketing a small box as she returned. "Matches. Might need these later." Amber explained.

"How did you--"

"I told you, I'm good with a mop." She winked. Wash rolled his eyes.

"If you two are done with th' googling at each other, we got a jail ta escape."

We contiuned forward. The back door was only about five minutes away, however it felt as though we were running for days. I was glad when we finally arrived, but that soon dissapeared when something came to all of our minds: That was too easy. There had to be a trap somewhere.

"Stay here everyone!" Emily shouted. "I can do this!"

She ran through the doors. Amberlynn reached out in protest, but I grabbed her arm and shook my head.

"She's small enough to stay out of sight. If any of us took her place we would be spotted right away." I explained. She sighed and dropped her arm.

"Fine. But it's your head I'm after if anything happens to her." She replied.

"Fine."

We waited five minutes. Ten minutes. Twenty. And finally, twenty five. Emily hadn't returned.

"I'm going out after her." Amber said.

"No," I protested. "I'm sure she's fine. Wait a little longer."

"I'm tired of waiting! She could be dead!"

Amber Took a step forward. I moved in front of the doors, arms spread apart.

"Look, I know it seems cruel, but do you really want to jeapordize all of our safety just to save Emily?"

"Yes."

I was pushed aside. Amber kicked open the double doors and there sat the black haired child, twigs and leaves in her hair and dirt dusting her white dress.

"I'm okay Ambie..." She replied, smiling at the redhead. They hugged briefly, but the moment was interrupted by footsteps.

"I heard voices over here. We should check it out..."

"Run!" I hissed. We dashed out the door single file, leaving me to close it as quietly as possible. If only the door didn't squeak.

We ran for twenty minutes before breaking, ending up in the middle of nowhere. Everyone looked dead tired after all we had been through. 

"We did it..." I said, fighting for breath. "We escaped..."

"Now what?" Emily asked.

Amber smiled. "The cabin I told you about earlier isn't close. We'll have to travel quite a while."

Washington scoffed. "Looks like we'll be campin' out...How can anyone sleep with him around?" He took an uneasy glance at 403. I was just about to pipe up when Amber beat me to it.

"Excuse me? You'll sleep just fine. Everyone will get along or you will be punished. I don't want anyone bickering on this trip or I will leave you behind in the middle of the night..." She shot daggers at Washington, grabbing him by his shirt collar. "Understood?"

"Y-Yes ma'am." Washington's expression was emotionless. He was hiding his fear again, and from the looks of it he wasn't doing a great job. She made her way towards me, getting into my face. I stepped back.

"Understood?"

"Yes mother." I replied.

"Good." She stepped back, and I recieved a slap across the back of the head. Ouch.

"Hey, Vi?" Emily tugged on the patient's arm. He seemed to be in a daze, staring up at the half moon that had started to rise in the orange-tinted desert sky.

"The moon...I had forgotten...How pretty it was..."