F O R T Y - F O U R

"Where's Grant? I need him here!" She has to hold me down as I try to get out of the hospital bed.

"Who's Grant? There's no Grant here Malia, now lay down!" My mom grips my wrists and I struggle to get out of her grip.

"Stop struggling and sit still!"

"No! I want Grant here now!" She tries to pin my arms down up until I accidentally slap her while I try to get her away from me.

I gasp as the room goes silent.

"Mom, I-"

"Shut up."

"But mom-"

"Just shut up before I backhand you." For a moment, I stay quiet.

She's never threatened me like that before.

Has she?

"Mom, you never hit me before. Why would you say that?"

She's never treated me like that.

I understand I slapped her, but I didn't do it on purpose. I was only trying to get out of her grasp.

"I have-Oh, I forgot. You lost your memory." she sits down in the seat next to me and I sit up.

"So, you don't remember anything?"

I shake my head.

"Not even Ethan?"

Who's Ethan?

"I don't recall knowing an Ethan."

"It's better that way." she grabs a cup of water and I raise a brow. "Mom, who's Ethan?"

"He's no one important Malia."

"Mom, if he's not important than why did you ask if I remembered him or not? Obviously he was someone important." My voice raises and she shushes me.

"Don't raise your voice at me." her voice is low. "But, if you must know, he was your ex-boyfriend."

"Why did Ethan and I break up?"

"He got another girl pregnant while you two were dating."

What? That's crazy.

"Do you know how Ethan and I met?" She nods.

"You met at school and agreed to a sex deal with him."

I'd never do that.

I know I wouldn't do that.

"Where is he now?"

"He's still here in New Jersey."

"What about his baby?"

"With the mother, Ethan still denies the child is his." she takes a sip of water as she crosses her right leg over her left.

What a dick.

"What does he look like?"

"Hazel eyes, chiseled jawline, full arched eyebrows, messy brown wavy hair."

Why does it sound like-

"Malia!" Grant stands in front of the door, out of breath with a chunk of his hair fallen over his forehead.

"Oh, look. Here's Ethan now."

"Grant?" I squeak.

"Grant? He lied about his name? Well done, Ethan." My mom laughs.

I look down at his hands, seeing his now clenched fists.

"Mom, can you excuse us for a minute. I'd like to talk to Ethan alone."