T W E N T Y - N I N E

"How far along were you before you lost the baby?" my mom asks as she adds sugar to her coffee.

"8 weeks."

"What did Ethan do when he found out you were pregnant?" she takes a drink from her cup and I stay quiet.

"Answer me goddammit." her voice is low and deep, sending shivers through my body.

"I never told him when I was pregnant. I told him after the baby had died." I can feel the stinging in my eyes and this time, she chuckles.

"I should have guessed that one." she has a sick smile playing on her lips and I look away to avoid doing something that I'll regret.

"You know, I tried to prove you wrong. That everything you said was wrong and it wouldn't happen, but it did. I was wrong, and you were right." I look out the window of the restaurant, looking at nothing but the wet floor as rain poured.

"You were vulnerable and he took advantage of it. It's what men do."

I raise a brow as I look at her.

"Something happened between you and Andrew?" I drink from my cup.

"Took you long enough to realize, but yes. We're not on speaking terms at the moment. It makes me wonder if marrying him was the right choice."

"Took you long enough to realize." I copy her and she gives me a look.

"You should have raised your other hand." she says calmly and I furrow my brows.

"What are you talking about?"

"I watched the wedding video. You were about to raise your hand, but Angelina stopped you."

I still don't regret doing it 

My phone rings and I'm somewhat shocked when I see his name pop up on my phone.

Nathan

"Man candy or something?" my mom leans back in her seat and I shake my head.

"Don't lie to me, I know how it works. So tell me, what's he like?"

"How did you know it's a guy?" I decline the call and I put my phone in my bag.

"Considering what you've gone through, you would need a distraction. Plus, the look on your face gave it away."

"Are you calling me a whore?" I process what she just told me and I lean forward.

"I never said you were, but if you'd like to think so, then be my guest. You said it, not me."

"You have called me a whore before." I say bitterly.

"You left for two days and you came back covered in hickies Malia. I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan's parents thought you actually were a whore. Then again, who cares? It's not like you're going to have a relationship with them again anyways."

"Mom-"

"Shut up, I'm not done."

"Well I am, and I want to talk about something else dammit." The table shakes as I stand up. Everyone looks in my direction and my mom pulls out her lipstick.

She swipes the mauve colored lipstick on her lips as she dabs it lightly.

"Fine then. Let's talk about Ethan's bitch."

-----

"Tell me again why you didn't hit her or something?"

"Because she was pregnant." I defend.