Quran School

Hey everyone! jeez I feel like it's been forever since I took the time to sit and write out a musing (and alhamdulilah for it). I've been so busy with work lately and surprisingly this one work shift sparked a musing

Last weekend me and a couple of other employees went around to set up the store. I got partnered with this very nice lady with a big personality. She tells me all about her children and how well mannered they are (typical parents hey xD) and the topic steered towards religion. Just randomly she blurts out "do you go to Dugsi?"

For those with question marks above their heads, don't worry I'll fill you in. Dugsi is basically a school on the weekends or after school where kids and some adults gather to learn Quran (we Somali people call it "Dugsi").

Anyways I tell her how I don't go to Dugsi and I explained some of my concerns concerning Dugsi and other Quran schools. I don't know if it's just me but I absolutely believe that a child appreciates the Quran when they ask for it. A lot of the parents I know are pushing their kids into it and I feel the kids aren't really understanding how important and beautiful the Quran and the meaning is. As time passes, those who've practically been to Quran school for so long see it as a chore (and trust me I've hear people saying this). Aside from the fact that some students don't want to be there, the teachers are practically shunning everyone who hasn't advanced in the Quran like so and so.

"Do you see this? Ali has memorized all of Juz 29! Mashallah! why can't you all be like him? you need to work faster!"

Subhanallah, when did memorization of the Quran become a race? Why do these teachers boast about one particular student and make the others feel unworthy? Do the believers or the bible host bible competitions to see who knows more? I don't think they do and for good reason.

Anyways so after expressing my honest opinions on Dugsi and stressed the fact the I said SOME and not ALL I felt offended. She explained how her children go to Dugsi and how excellent they were and that children and teens could never take an interest in Quran without Dugsi (Subhanallah) and that parents should not be blamed but rather the teachers.

Now I don't think that was fair. I'm guessing she thought that my viewpoint was ignorant because I didn't tell her that I did go to Dugsi back when I was younger. Now my experience was both good and bad. I liked excelling in Quran and I loved some of my teachers. I would go home and miss cartoon Thursday in order to memorize Surat Mulk (a passage in the Quran). Now that was back in my hometown and I still had some negative experiences. If that's the case then where Iive now must be a million times worse. Why do I think so? I'll tell you. I've seen the kids whose parents force them to go to Dugsi talk about how horrible it is and how "stressful" it is to memorize. Those same kids will whip out their phones and listen to Drake with the Quran on that same playlist. The second a Surat comes on, they switch it. Tell me, how is it possible to inspire the youth of today if the Quran is presented in such a manner?

Ending my scenario, I shrugged off her comments because I really didn't feel like throwing my opinions at her. I completely understood her views but it didn't really change my opinion. I won't lie though, I'm glad that I had that discussion with her because it really got me thinking; how could we better our Islamic studies schools? What is the best method to encourage Muslim kids now a days? I don't know about you, but insha'Allah when I become a mother, I'd much rather teach them myself and get them excited about the Quran and it's meaning at a young age. I just feel that teaching them would help them focus (because their not distracted by other kids) and of course emphasize on meaning (I don think I've ever heard of a Quran school that teaches an aya with the meaning). Anyways, like all things Quran school has its goods and it's bads, all we can do is hope that as the future parents of this generation, we'll be able to lead and teach our kids what we believe to be the most important the way we want to (can I get an Ameen please?)

That was an interesting topic that I thankfully remembered to write about. Now what I would like to know from the Muslims around the world is how the Quran a schools are where you live? Did you go to Quran school and if so how was it? I also have a question for the non Muslims. If you do study a particular religious book, do you ever feel pressured to excel further in your studies? And if so by whom and how do you feel about it? Let me know down in the comments and I'll be sure to respond oh and don't forget to vote! until next time!