This Land Was Made For You And Me

Now I don’t know if any of you heard (If your Canadian, than most likely you have) but recently their trying to pass a law than bans the use of religious garbs in public work places (like teaching or nursing for example). After I heard about this, my fingers began to itch and a musing spurred inside my head. Before I tell you my thoughts (which you all most likely know xD) I want to give you some of the reasons for doing so and also know your opinions on it.

So from what I’ve heard, some of the leaders think that the public work force should be free of religion in general. I have also heard that some actually believe that women are liberated by not having to wear it in public (…). So then hears the question.

Do you agree with this bill that may become law in Quebec?

Now whether you agree or disagree, I want to know your reasons not just “Like no duh its wrong!”. Of course keep in mind, if there is controversy, I’m not opposed to a healthy debate, but remember to remain civil if beliefs clash.

 So now to present my opinion.

I 100% disagree with this. This infringes on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (the right to express religion openly) and will, if implemented, segregate religious groups that express their religion outwardly. I don’t know about you, but I would never take my hijab off for a job. Not in one million years.

Honestly as a Canadian, I’m absolutely offended that this bill would even make it to government. This, as crazy as it may sound to some, reminds me in some ways of the discrimination that went on in the United States.

Africans were legally considered as slaves and therefore had no say or rights. They worked and received low wages and were brutally abused based on their complexion. Some may say “Hey your taking it to far, this bill is in no way like slavery in the US” but who’s to say that it won’t be? It sure has the “no rights” in some area down! Who’s to say that this isn’t just an attempt at discrimination in disguise? I’m sorry if some of you don’t feel the same way but I do, and I’m truly hurt by this! Not only hurt but infuriated!

I was born in Vancouver, B.C and lived here for all of my 17 years. I am a Canadian, C-A-N-A-N-D-I-A-N! Wearing the hijab doesn’t strip my Canadian identity! It doesn’t change the fact that I was born on Canadian soil  (two ways that a person becomes a citizen in Canada is if they are born on Canadian soil, or are of Canadian blood. Seeing as Vancouver just happens to be in Canada, guess that makes me…oh I dont know CANADIAN!) So how can someone say “hey because you were that thingy on your head you wont be able to have the same rights as say that chick in the nice neon tube top or maybe the snazzy guy in the hipster clothing” So much for equal rights -.-

And what is this garbage about “liberating the women that wear hijab”. I don’t know if they know this, but they are actually oppressing Muslim women if this bill does in fact pass. As shocking as this may seem, Muslim women choose when to wear the hijab (yes guys big shocker, I said “choice”). So for someone to say “If you wear the hijab, you wont get a job” you’re actually preventing our choice of wearing the hijab to better our religious practice. You’re also making us choose religion for a job! ARE THEY INSANE! Do they actually think someone who has chosen to make the lifelong commitment of wearing hijab will take it off to get some cash? (Excuse me while I flip my hijab). Not only the Muslims here! Think of the Jewish men that wear the religious cap (the name isn’t coming to me right now, so if someone could comment and fill me in, thank you in advance!). So they would have to take it off to work for you? Think of the Sikh men that wear the turban? So they wont be able to work for you until they take it off? No! This is ludicrous!  You could imagine my surprise when I first heard this.

Here, in Canada, a country I was raised in even think, THINK of this?

I wanted to work in Montreal back god knows when. Guess I wont be able to. Its not even law yet and tension has formed between religious groups and the government. Maybe it’s because my opinion is biased (heavily biased in fact) but I can’t see the reason why? Why would they feel the need ostracize Canadians? Canada is known for their multiculturalism and as much as Quebec hates being connected to Canada, guess what YOU STILL ARE! I understand they want to be EXACTLY like France but jeez you want to be your own country yet you want to desperately be like France (talk about your sense of national identity). Sorry I’m ranting here (breathe woman breathe!) I just feel like as the years pass, the chances Muslims get to express the normality diminishes. We are different because we believe in a different religion; why should that stop us from getting jobs? Why should we have to sacrifice our spiritual identity to appease some crazy old guy who feels Canada’s multiculturalism is tres stupide! Why! (Guess I should cross Quebec off my list)

So before I burst a blood vessel let me just say this: a place that tells you to sacrifice important beliefs like religion isn’t somewhere I would want to live.

I’m not giving up 50% of me to gain 34,000 or 75,000 or even 6 figured y’all (Money doesn’t buy me). Every time the local news or national news comes on I sit and pray that this bill doesn’t become law. If it does, some of the important rights and freedoms or religious Canadians will be restricted and I fear that people will have a negative view of Canada (its not just Quebec, its Canada right). Insha’allah I hope that some people see sense and see how much trouble this would cause in the comings years and I pray that the home I’ve been raised in proves just how great and liberating it is to be a Canadian.

Oh jeez guys I feel like such a bum! I haven’t updated in so long (curse you grade 12!). With such an important year, I’ve been all frantic and studying.  But anyways enough with my self pity, I should remember you guys more because of how fantastic all of you are! xD don’t forget to answer the question I presented earlier! I seriously want to hear all of your opinions on this! Remember though, civility no swearing or craziness (lets remain respectful dear lovelies) and if you liked it, vote it up! :)