Hijab

All right so yesterday I was scrolling through the forums, and I saw someone comment about the hijab. Thinking it to be interesting I read it. So she was asking if anyone knew what “hijab swag” was because she had no clue what it was. At first I laughed and was like hijab and swag in the same sentence? PFFT no way! Then I google searched it and..Yup there was such a thing as “hijabi swag” (I was prepping my flip flops just incase I saw those two words together). After seeing that, I just had to do a musing on the hijab.

So what is the hijab? The hijab is a covering that a Muslim woman wears to hide her beauty and protect her chastity from members of the opposite sex. Question: If I’m wearing a hijab, making a duck face, and snapback that says “Obey” is that protecting me in any way. The answer is: NO YOU CRAZY PERSON! THAT’S DRAWING ATTENTION TO YOUSERLF! Ahem but anyways, this musing I want to focus on the physical and internal meaning of hijab and hopefully satisfy my anger towards such a saying (hijab swag pffft such an ugly phrase).

So its suggested that the hijab should be plain (black, white, grey etc.) not really flashy in order not to draw attention to yourself. It should also cover your neck and ears and not be see through. That’s just the hijab on your head. The Hijab starts with you’re head to you’re feet, so clothing should be loose and cover the body. Simple guidelines right? So why aren’t people following it. Instead they make up their own rules which SERIOULY annoy me. So let me tell you some of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to the hijab (the styles, makeup, the appropriate clothing and all of that jazz).

#1: The Camel Hump

A big bump on the back of you’re head is not hijab. The Prophet Muhammad said “Women with their heads like the humps of camels, tilted to one side. They will not enter Paradise nor even smell its fragrance”. Do you see that? Why would you ever not want to enter Paradise Inshallah? All for a hijab style that makes your head look gargantuan? It isn’t even attractive! I find that the girls who do wear it like that, look like their hiding watermelons in there.

#2: The very very very Loose Styled Hijab

Okay ladies I think I’ve cleared the whole “no neck or ears showing” part earlier, so why are there still so many hijabi’s wearing a hijab that shows their neck off. I don’t even know why they do it to be quite honest. Maybe its because their hot, or don’t feel like pinning the hijab down, but still it looks like you threw a scarf on and rolled out of bed. Now this style’s okay when girls wear a turtle under that covers both the neck and the ears but I don’t think the other girls got the memo (maybe I should tell them).

#3: Makeup

… Do I really have to explain this? xD A Muslim girl wearing the hijab is supposed to hide their beauty in front of non-mahrams. Makeup is a tool used to highlight someone’s beauty. Put two and two together and they don’t mix. Tip from me ladies: I find women who don’t wear makeup more beautiful than someone who cakes it on. They have a natural beauty that can’t be bought at stores so ladies embrace the natural. Of course to the girls who like wearing makeup and getting dolled up, the place for that is with your girl pals. When you’re just with girls, go crazy xD

#4: Half way there

So you’ve got the hijab on and no make up but you’re clothes cling to every possible part of you’re body. I know and completely understand these girls and there wants to appear normal in front of their peers, but (like I’ve said before) my pet peeves stem with the girls who do it for attention. Would you believe me if I told you that I saw a girl with hijab but jeans shorts on? You wouldn’t right? Yup it was true. I’d rather have someone wear baggy trousers and an oversized blouse than skinnies and a tank please! What I cannot understand (or ever will understand) is why girls believe that when you dress modestly you look terrible. Like for gosh sake, I wear blouses and skirts and still look gorgeeeeeeegous (thank you thank you) but still I’m properly covered! So if that’s an excuse than it’s rejected! I always find myself wanting to bring back the times where women were “fashionable” according to how much they covered up. Turtlenecks all the way! :D

#5: Everything is there except for the character

Hijab: Check

Modest Clothing: Check

Character: Nope

We’ve all been there with the sister that dresses like a Muslim on the outside but acts like a crazy. They look the part but never act it. I don’t know why, but I always pity those sisters. Why? Because she dresses modestly for to appease someone else and not themselves. I feel also that the sisters that look picture perfect but aren’t tend to rub me the wrong way. It’s like they tell me everything I want to hear without being real with me which is why I would rather have someone who changed their life and openly admits their past mistakes.

Now let me make this clear, if you are one of the sisters who does either of the pet peeves I’ve mentioned, please don’t feel offended. I’m always an optimist and believe that people can change and so can you. If you the camel hump hijab try wearing a regular one and see what you’re sisters say. I feel like if the people I've mentioned in my pet peeves changed their perspective, Inshallah they would see how beautiful it is to be a Muslim and wear the full hijab, not only on the outside but on the inside as well.