Chapter 28

Luke's eyes widened in fear. His eyes met mine as he gave me an apologetic look.

The door suddenly swung open in the little Ice Cream shop and a large police man had cuffed Luke before you could even blink.

 Harry held me back as I fought to reach Luke.

 "He didn't do anything!"  I screamed and sobbed.as they pulled him out the door.

 As soon as I realized I couldn't do anything to help, I fell back into Harry's arms and cried. Jillian and Allison tried to comfort me, but nothing could make me feel better.

 Luke had been taken away from me, all because of a misunderstanding. He only was trying to protect me. It was all self defense, and I cant do anything but wait.

 I wiped away my tears and sat down at one of the many tables in the shop and laid my head in my hands.

 "It always gets better Emilee." Harry said to me.

 "Just because things aren't good now, has nothing to do with the events that will occur later. You and Luke are going to be just fine."

 I lifted my head up and gave Harry a small smile.

 "I think I'm going to go find him." I said.

 I thanked Harry and drove the girls to the hotel, then headed to the county jail.

 ------

I stepped into the building and was instantly checked for weapons or anything that could harm.

 I sighed a huff of relief as they found me clean and led me to a small room with a desk and a mean looking man seated behind it.

 "Name?" He asked gruffly.

"Emilee Kownacki, I'm here for Luke Hemmings." I mumbled.

 "Ah... and what is a girl like you doing getting mixed up with a guy like him?" He asked with a smirk.

 "You don't know anything." I snapped and snatched the pass from him.

 I stomped off down a long hallway and stumbled upon the room I was supposed to enter.

 I creaked the door open and caught myself staring at a glass wall.  On one side of the wall stood prisoners of all shapes and sizes and on the other stood me.

 I frantically searched for Luke in the array of people.

 My eyes scanned through the crowd until they laded on the blue eyed, tattooed boy.

 I stumbled over to him and his eyes met mine.

"Luke." I breathed through the small hole in the glass.

"I'm so sorry Em. I tried to tell them it wasn't me, but they said they had evidence and the only way to get out is a 10,000 dollar bail...." His eyes turned glossy and he laid his hand on the glass.

 I laid my small hand over his.

 Tears started to fall as I thought of the months I would have to spend without Luke.

 "I don't know if I can live without you Luke..." I cried.

 "Shh, baby it'll be okay. Your gonna be just fine." Luke cooed, which made the tears fall even faster.

 "I- I don't know what to do Luke."

 "Just go home and remember I love you. Okay?" He tried to smile.

 "I love you so much Luke." I mumbled and took my hand off of his.

 ---

 I handed the man at the front desk my pass and slowly walked out of the tall building that held my whole world.

 I sped home to the apartment for the first time in weeks since Allison and Jillian were most likely leaving the hotel tomorrow anyways

 The door of the apartment creaked open.

 It felt wrong in here without Luke. It felt empty and alone.

 I threw the keys down on the table and stumbled into the bedroom to change into a pair of sweatpants and a white tshirt.

 Jillian and Allison were at the already paid for hotel room until they find somewhere to live with their saved up money. I was glad they were finally done working for the now dead Jeff.

 I looked over at the clock to see it was only 9.  I thought for a minute, then dialed the familiar number to Haley's phone.

 "Hey Emmy." She answered.

 "Hey Hales, do you think you could come spend the night here?" I asked.

 "Yeah! Of course." She said, sensing something was wrong.

 "Thank you babe."

 "Your welcome, I'll be over in a few."

 I set the phone down and turned the tv on while I waited for Haley to show. I flickered through channels, not thinking about the figures moving on the tv in front of me.

 After about 20 minutes, there was a knock at the door.

 I opened the door to reveal a smiling Haley with about 4 bags of junkfood and movies.  I smiled at her and stood by to let her enter.

 Once we had unpacked all the food and put a movie in, I started to tell her about everything that had happened.

 A look of sorrow was planted on her face the whole time and when I had finished, she pulled me into a tight hug.

 I dug my head into my best friends neck and stayed there for what felt like an hour. She pulled away and smiled.

 "How about we eat some icecream and watch a movie?"

 I nodded and went to grab the cartons of icecream from the freezer.

 We sat down and watched about 6 movies before we started to get tired.  Haley decided to take the couch and I laid in one of the large chairs.

 Haley dozed off and I sat, thinking about Luke.

 I would have to figure out what to do tomorrow, because sleep slowly started to take over my tired body.