Chapter 39

Today, my eyes finally opened to the blinding lights and soft beeping of a heart monitor.

 I blinked a few times, then sat up in the small hospital bed I had just gotten out of, but my head still hurt.

 Luke was asleep in a chair in the corner of the room with his arms folded over his chest and tear marks stained his red cheeks.

 The door opened and Amber, my nurse, walked in and gave me a sad smile.

 "Long time no see huh?" She said softly.

 I nodded and she checked the clipboard that was in her hands.

 She grimaced at something on the page and looked at he worriedly.

 "Uhm... Luke said he didn't want to know what happened until your awake, he said he wanted to find out together... when he wakes up push the nurse button honey." She whispered and scurried out the door.

 As the door shut, Luke's worried eyes fluttered open.

 His eyes landed on me and it looked like a thousand pounds had been lifted off of his shoulders.

 "Oh my god Emilee." He sobbed and ran over to the bed and embraced me in a tight hug.

 His arms felt familiar in such an uncomfortable situation.

 "I thought you were gone." He cried. "I thought I would never be with you again."

 Tears ran down my cheeks as I thought of what that feeling was like.

 "It's okay Luke. Shh." I kept saying and finally his cries dimmed down and stopped. He pulled away and smiled through a few more small tears.

 "I couldn't let you leave me." He said.

 "I would never leave you."

  He took my hand and sat up next to me on the bed.

 I pressed the nurse button and looked at Luke's confused expression.

 "Amber told me to press the button when you woke up... so we could find out what's wrong with me...." I looked down.

 "Emilee, look at me." Luke pleaded and pushed my face up to meet his.

 "There is nothing wrong with you. So what there's a bump in the road? You're still perfect to me."

 I smiled up at him as the door opened and a sad looking Amber walked in.

 "Hi you two...." She trailed and took a deep breath. "I'm so sorry.... Emilee that cause of the pain in your head is a brain tumor. It's located on the right side of your brain and we don't know if there's anything we can do. Again i=I'm so sorry." She said and I think she wiped a tear.

 "All the good ones." She whispered, but I don't think she wanted me to hear.

 She slowly walked out of the room.

 I couldn't move. It was like you were in that one nightmare where you were supposed to be running from something, but your legs wouldn't budge.

 I could faintly feel Luke engulf me in a sad hug, but I could only focus on one thing.

 I could die. At any minute of any day.

I finally realized where I was and started crying along with Luke. I cried into his chest as his arms almost suffocated me, but I couldn't care less. Suffocating in his arms is a better way to die than the road I'm heading down.

  Sooner or later our breathing slowed and all that was heard throughout the room was silence and the beeping of my heart monitor.

 "I'm sorry." I finally spoke, but I sounded hoarse. "I should've never said yes to you. You wouldn't have had to deal with me and pretend I'm the perfect girlfriend. Ever since I came into your life I've made it a living hell and now look what I've done." I paused for a minute to catch my breath. "I'm going to die before I can do anything I ever wanted to."

 Luke stood up and paced angrily around the room.  His blue eyes turned a gray and he approached me.

 "This is bullshit!" He yelled. "You have no idea how fucking special you are Emilee. You've made my life worth living and your just going to give up now? That's NOT the Emilee I know. The Emilee I know would embrace this with open arms and maybe even tell a joke to lighten the mood. This is all wrong. You were supposed to live a long happy life without any struggles because that is what you deserved! You are going to fight through this, and I'll be with you the entire way."

  "The world isn't a wish giving factory." I quoted from The Fault In Our Stars.

 Luke looked down at me, then sat down next to me again.

 "This isn't the end. Your going to live a long happy life. We are going to fight through this, together princess." He said and placed a kiss on my forehead.

 "I sure hope so, if I die I cant even think about a heaven without a Luke Hemmings, because you are my heaven."

---------------

 hey guys. I've honestly been super emotionally unstable lately.

 I was all excited to get 5SOS tickets.

 Then I didn't get them.

 Then I finished the fault in our stars and I had to get a new book because of the tear stains on the pages.

 Soooooooooooo you guys should comment and stuff and tell me some good ideas for the story.

 love you guys                            em xx