Chapter 23

After our lazy day together, I had to go back to work, Luke still drove me there and back and stayed there until my shift was over because Jeff was still out there.

 He would sit outside for hours, just to keep me, and although it was restraining, I felt safe and I felt like nothing could hurt me.

 At around 12, I walked outside to Luke.  He was in his car lounged back playing on his phone.

"Hey." He smiled and sat up.

 "Wanna go to lunch?" I asked him and he nodded eagerly, getting out of the car to give me a hug.

 "Even when I'm 15 feet away from you I still miss you." He mumbled into my ear and my heart swelled at his words.

 "Well I'm here now, aren't I?" I asked and his smile grew into a grin.

During the drive, I played some music.  Backseat Serenade pounded through the stereo and Luke loudly sang along.

 The familiar lyrics of the song filled the air and Luke's voice rang through the car making me laugh harder than I had in a long time.

When we finally reached our destination, my cheeks ached from laughing so hard.

 Luke got out of the car and ran around to come open my door. "Thank you." I said and he took my hand and ked me into the small restaurant.

 It was a modern building filled with tables and chairs with white tablecloths.

 The smell of Italian food floated through the air and pictures of famous Italian buildings and phrases covered the wall like paint.

 A small woman with red hair and bright green eyes led us to our table and took our orders.

 As we waited for our food, Luke's gaze fell upon me.

 "What?" I blushed.

 "Nothing!" He chuckled and laid his hand on mine from across the table.

 My eyes scanned up and down his arms, trying to decipher his array of tattoos.

 I spotted a quote through the most alluring patterns on his right arm which read Lost Boy.

"Isn't that from a song?" I asked him and he looked down at the words scrawled on his arm.

 "Yeah... but I felt like it explained me... you know, when I was 16." He said quietly and my heart beat quickened for the 16 year old blonde boy who had run away from his parents because he wasn't excepted.

 He looked up at me. "Now I'm found." He smiled.

 Our food arrived, and we split apart to make room for the plates that held our lunch.

I took a bite of the food and smiled in delight.  It was delicious and by the look on Luke's face, I think he agreed.

When we had finished, I paid the bill against Luke's protests and we exited the restaurant hand in hand.

 We decided to walk down the street and look in the little shops.

We came across a little ice cream shop and I couldn't hide my excitement as I jumped and begged to go in.

 Luke laughed at my eagerness and led me inside to the cute little ice cream shop.

 The inside was decorated of pictures of landmarks from all over the world. The pictures clung onto a baby blue painted wall and a big counter stood in the left side of the shop.

 A little old man stood at the counter and smiled a genuine smile. His head was covered in a mop of gray hair and he was wearing jeans and a red teeshirt.  Heavy framed glasses hung on his nose and his smile was so big it almost reached his ears.

 "Hi there. What can I get you two?" He spoke looking between me and Luke.

 "I'll have a chocolate and Em will have a peanut butter." Luke said and the man started to scoop the ice cream into cups.

 His nametag read Harry.

 The sweet man handed us the cups and Luke handed him the money to pay.

"Thank you.. Harry." I smiled and he grinned back.

 "Do you work here alone?" I asked him and his face dropped a little.

 "I opened the shop with my wife 30 years ago.... there was always customers here, no matter what day of the week. Lucy... she never missed a day of work. She loved working here and I loved working here with her." He looked down at the floor and continued.

 "Lucy died 6 months ago because of a heart attack. I never got to say goodbye to her. I miss her so much. She used to say I looked at her like he's looking at you." He said and gestured to Luke.

 "Lucy would've loved you two." He smiled weakly.

A tear ran down my cheek. "She's never really gone." I said to Harry.

"She's always going to be with you. Lucy's with you every second of the day. She might not be present, but she would never leave somebody who loved her so much. She's watching you right now, protecting you." I said and his smile grew bigger.

 "Thank you... um.."

"Emilee." I cut in. "And this is Luke."

 "Emilee..."

He looked at Luke.

 "You better look out for this one, she's a keeper." He winked at Luke.

We exited the building after thanking Harry, then walked down the street and ate our ice cream in a comfortable silence. When we finished, we walked into a souvineer store.

 There was a small tv on the front counter playing the news.

 I broused around the shelves, and after finding nothing I walked back to the front of the store to meet Luke.

 I found him staring at the tv with wild eyes. He looked nervous.

 I glanced up at the tv to see what he was looking at.

 A picture of Luke flashed on the tv.

 I gasped.

Under his name read FIND THIS MAN, CONVICTED OF ALMOST BEATING MAN TO DEATH.

Luke stumbled over to me. "We need to go." He whispered and ushered me out the door.