Chapter seventeen

Little Love Letters

_____________

Chapter seventeen

The days seemed so long until the last minutes to the bell ring which sentenced us to holiday break. It was a tradition here at Westfield High for the seniors to kiss somebody the second the bell goes off for a holiday.

The clock was ticking in anticipation. Tick, Tock.

Some girls sat straight up in their seats and applied red lip balm. The other guys were already eyeing the girl they wanted to snog the heavy daylights out of. And then you get me.

Nobody even looked my way. I started feeling like an outcast more and more by the second. If the person you kiss gives in and kisses back, that automatically makes them your date for The Winter Dance! taking place. It was a week into the holidays, and something told me that nobody would ask me.

Apparently Conner had claim on me, and nobody were to mess with him. I heard this one school legend, that somebody else stole Conner's freshman girl, and he was furious. It was said that he ended up at the police station for beating up the poor guy.

But who was I to think that Conner had any interest in me? It was pretty obvious that he and Ashley did something behind my back, but why on Earth wouldn't he tell me if they did.

Who was I to blame. I had kissed Zachary while he was almost dying. I wondered what would've happened if I hadn't looked for him that day. I don't think he'd even be in a coma, rather in something much worse.

The clock on the wall said there were thirty seconds left. I felt the beating of my heart through my jacket. My stomach was doing so many twist, it would probably get a first price in the Olympics for gymnastics.

Tick Tock.

Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One..

As anticipated, the trembling bell silenced the whole class. This was the moment everybody had been squirming and talking about for weeks.

But I was still sitting in my same spot. Every girl was on somebody else's lap, and as expected, they lip locked. I was the only one alone. The only one.

Well, that's if you exclude our English substitute. He was looking at me, wide eyed. Not to think about him in that way, but he was handsome. It's as if he had class and was a gentleman. He finished high school one year ago, and as Mrs. Hopkins had to go on sick leave, he stood in for her.

He smiled at me as everyone got their backpacks and threw papers into the air. Doing the polite thing, I smiled back. It made me feel more at ease that I wasn't the only one still not sharing a date at the dance.

The hallways were flooded with chirpy people as the front door of the school wasn't big enough for three at a time. I rather did the logical thing and escaped from the backdoor.

"Not even a goodbye?"

I snapped around and found Zac slowly walking towards me. "What do you want me to say Zac?"

He stared at me blandly before a glint of pain shot through his eyes. Of course it had been very awkward and tense between us after the whole letter thing, but he said he would wait for me till I sorted out my emotions.

"Don't say anything,"

I felt my back press against the wall as I backed away from him. It took me a moment to realize I was trapped underneath him. His blue eyes dug deep into mine as I felt my breath hitch.

His plumb lips pressed against mine in a tingling sensation. It was savior and sweet. It never seemed desperate for one second as our kisses always did. For the millionth time our lips connected, it still felt like our first.

I remember it as brightly as ever. I was fifteen and hadn't even had my first, so imagine how stressed out I was. Some of my friends told me he wanted to kiss me, and I worried about it every single moment. 'What would my breath smell like' is all I kept thinking to myself. And then it happened. He picked me up in his arms and swept me around as we kissed. It was perfect, and this wasn't any different.

Zac slowly pulled back, still holding my waist. "You didn't back away," he chuckles and sweeps his fringe out of his eyes.

"What do you mean by that?" I still didn't know what made that so appealing to him. Was it because he thought I didn't care about him anymore? Of course I did.

"It is told, that if the person doesn't pull back, they have to be your date for Winter dance," he mimics in a high pitched screech which ultimately made me block my ears.

I push him away, exiting the doors.

Before I leave though, I turn around and face his smugged features.

"It will take more than that to get me to go," I hang on the door as he steps closer.

"So be it,then." his adorable smile made my knees feel weak all over again and I was pretty sure my hands were shaking.

So I did get my kiss after all.