Eyes (davekat)

Dave's P.O.V

"Today's the day Strider," I told myself while looking at my mismatched eyes in the mirror. One red the other dark grey. Everyone was born like this. right eye their color, the left their soulmate's color. When you met them, the colors changed so that both were your natural color. Or at least they did if your eyes were visible. One of the many reasons I wore shades all the time. I didn't want anyone falling for me due to some bullshit soulmate reason. Today was the day I were finally going to confess myself to my love. The one you thought to be your soulmate. When I had met them I immediately recognized my eye color but refused to go for the bullshit that school taught me. Today I would tell them I loved them and would take off my shades for them. The ultimate test. I put on my shades and left the bathroom. I quickly texted the person I wanted to talk to that day the most. "Hey, Karkles? Do you mind if I come over?" "DON'T CALL ME THAT. I DON'T GOT ANYTHING ELSE TO DO TODAY. SURE." "Great! Be right over." Perfect. I quickly run outside and jump into my car. I drive the short distance to Karkat's house and knock on the door. "THAT WAS FAST FUCKASS." I laughed. "I was already ready when I messaged you so I was able to get over quickly." He rolls his eyes as he moves to let me in. I enter and walk over to the couch and sit down. "So... What do you want to do?" Karkles shrugs. "I DON'T KNOW. WATCH A MOVIE MAYBE." "Let me guess. A rom-com?" Karkat glared at me and I laughed. Then, I thought for a moment. I would need Karkles in a good mood later. Which was hard to get. "Sure. Why not." Karkat looked confused but happy as he walked over to the TV and looked through his movie collection. Almost all of them were rom-coms. He picked one and put it in before coming and sitting next to me. He sat leaning against the arm rest with his legs pulled up against his body. I sat splayed out with my legs straight and crossed. I put my arms behind my head to try and act calm but to be honest. I couldn't stop thinking about Karkles. The way his eyes were a mirror view of mine. Right eye dark grey and left eye red. Nobody, not even John had ever seen my eyes. Expect for Bro of course. I tried to pay attention to the movie but I kept turning to Karkles to watch his reactions. He must've seen this movie so many times but he reacted as if this was his first time. He yelled at the screen, laughed with the characters, and cried with them as well. A small blush grew on his face when the characters finally kissed. I couldn't help but smile with him and blush a bit too. Most of it was hidden by my shades thankfully. After it was over I checked the time. 12:35. I took a deep breath. No time like the present. Karkles took out the movie and turned off the TV. "WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO NOW FUCKWAD." "Actually Karkat, there's something I want to show you." He looked confused. Both at my use of his real name and that I wanted to show him something. "OH? AND WHAT WOULD THAT BE?" "Turn around for a second." He studied me for a moment before turning. I reached up to my face and slowly removed my shades. I closed my eyes. "Turn back around now." I heard the shuffling that signaled he had done so. "Before I show you anything I want to tell you something. Karkles, I've liked you from the moment I first saw you. I was the one who suggested that we all go and make friends with your group. I saw your eyes and knew that I loved you. Not because of some bullshit soulmate reason. No, I knew I loved you because I could see the kindness in them hidden behind your aggressive personality. I love you Karkat. Not because I have to but because of who you are." Slowly, I opened my eyes. I saw the blush on his face and the sparkle in his eyes. I watched as his red eye faded to a dark grey. I smiled widely. "THAT'S THE MOST HEARTFELT THING YOU'VE EVER SAID..." "And none of it was ironic." He smiled widely. "I LOVE YOU TOO, STRIDER." I grabbed his hands a pulled him in for our first kiss. It was wonderful. We pulled away and touched our foreheads together. Everything was perfect.