23# Confessions of a Medium

Kiss Me Deadly

Chapter 23- Confessions of a Medium

I walk through my front door, drop my bag on the counter and shout out, “I’m home.”

My mother answers me by walking in to the foyer, wiping her hands on a dish cloth. “Hi Hun, how was your day?”

I know I can’t tell her the truth so I lie, “It was great.”

She nods and doesn’t even stop twice to consider what I had just told her was a lie. “Casey’s up in your room waiting for you.”

“She is?” My eyebrows shoot up in surprise, I hadn’t expected that.

“Yeah, she got here an hour-“

I don’t hear the rest of her sentence, I’m already racing up the stairs but when I get to my bedroom door I realise that I’ve let her down. I hadn’t fulfilled my promise. The reality of that blow hits me harder than I would’ve thought and I double over, a fiery pain working its way through my stomach. The guilt starts to gnaw at me. I had truly thought that I could make everything better for her, that I could help her.

I broke my promise. I couldn’t make the pain go away. I straitened my back, my posture stiff. Maybe she would be able to understand, maybe Sebastian was right, maybe I should just let nature take its course and let her grieve. All I could to do was be there for her, give her a reason to live. I take a deep breath and open my own door; I don’t think I’ve ever been so nervous when entering my own room before. Then again I have never had this happen to me before.

“Hey Casey,” I call out, my voice straining a little. “How are you feeling?”

She was stood with her back to me facing the second window in my room. It reminded me of my nightmare and for a split second I thought that I was still asleep. When she turned around with a gigantic smile on her face it made me believe it all the more.

I quickly pinched my arm. “Ow.”

‘Well that wouldn’t work because I felt pain in my other dream, duh stupid Cammie.’ I mentally scolded myself.

“What are you doing?” Casey GIGGLED, she giggled.

I think my mouth was flapping up and down, even with the bandage still around half of her face she looked so stunning, so luminous. Maybe Sebastian had worked some of his magic after all.

I shook my head, clearing some of the fuzz away. “Trying to figure out if I’m dreaming or not.”

“You’re not dreaming.” And again she smiled, looking more and more like the Casey before the incident.

My eyes narrow suspiciously. “But that’s exactly what you would say if I was dreaming.”

“Cameron, you’re not dreaming.” She takes a step forward, I take one back.

“Then why are you smiling?”

She sighed happily, dreamily. “Because something amazing has happened and it’s all because of you, at least I think it is.”

“What?” What could possibly make Casey so happy after her telling me that she wanted to die only yesterday?

She took a seat on my bed but I stayed standing, I had started to pace. “I think that it’s kind of like a side effect, of being brought back to life...”

My eyes rose in shock, no one said there would be any side effects. “Are you alright? Is it something bad? Is it good? Does it hurt?”

“Silly Cammie, it’s wonderful.” She waved me away, she waved me away! As if I was the one who had been fatally wounded and brought back to life.