19# Meeting GX

Kiss Me Deadly

Chapter Nineteen – Meeting GX

December 23rd 2010

It had been two weeks. Two weeks since what the media were calling ‘The Greenfield Massacre’. Two weeks since we had all been attacked in the Florence hotel, two weeks since Cody and Nick had died and two weeks since Casey had been truly happy. Two weeks since she’d last smiled.

Two weeks, not a long time in the overall run of things but to me it seemed like a life time. Casey didn’t speak much anymore; she just sat there and stared out of her window. At night she cried herself to sleep, crying out for Cody.

It was so hard to watch her die a little inside every day and know that I couldn’t do anything to save her. I had given her, her life back but she had, had her love taken away from her. What could I do?

Nothing but sit by her side every day and hope that things would get easier for her, hope that her grief would slowly fade away. Casey was being released today which was good, I don’t think she liked being cramped in the hospital. Her mum was going to pick us up and take us home.

She had been released just in time for Christmas, it was two days away... but I don’t think that Casey was all that excited for it really. I think it just reminds her of what she can’t have.

Her love.

“Cam, she’s here,” Casey tells me in that monotone voice of hers.

She tries to talk without any emotion now, because if she let’s go then she’ll just end up crying.

“You ready?” I try and smile.

She just nods.

I sigh and gather her bags, swinging one of them on to the back of my shoulder. We walk out of the now familiar room and down the hall, to the exit.  I walk in front of Casey, guiding her. She still has to wear her bandages for another week and still hasn’t seen the scar that’s there.

Linda pulled her into a hug once we walked through the sliding glass doors but Casey just stood there, limp. On the outside it didn’t seem to affect Lind but I could tell that on the inside it was breaking her down. She just wished that her daughter could be happy again, I know I did.

We all climbed in to the car but no one talked. Even though it was only an half an hour drove it felt like it lasted a life time. When we arrived at her house Casey stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. I imagine she was trying to prepare herself for what her home would be like, without Cody.

“You OK?” I asked her as I came to stand be her side.

“I will be... just give me a minute.” She stared up at the house in front of her, I joined her.

It had never looked so big and... lonely before.

“Let’s get this over with.” She stepped forward and Linda followed her behind.

I watch her as she turned the knob on the door and with a slight hesitation walked through them. She didn’t stop. She carried on up the stairs until she stood outside of her bedroom door.

I silently followed her, not wanting to disrupt whatever she was doing.

“He loved me, right?” Casey turned towards me, tears glistening in her eyes.

I stepped forward until I stood beside her. “Of course he did.”

Her hand reached out and she picked a photo of her and Cody off of the collage on her door. “Why did it have to happen to him?”