Michelles miscarraige & Carlas cries

Yesterday I got a call from Steve McDonald, yes Steve of all people, but the words that followed were ones I never wanted to hear. My best friend has had a miscarriage.

"Taxi to weatherfield" I said to the man on the end of the line, probably more aggressively than intended.

My whole body was numb and I couldn't comprehend the fact that Michelle had lost her baby boy, the one thing she was looking forward to this year.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden horn of the taxi outside. I quickly grabbed my suitcase and I was on my way.

As I sit in the vehicle, all I can think about is my baby girl, and everything that went wrong for me. The pain I endured and the emotions that ran through my body were ones I wish to forget, but sadly never will. I can't bare the fact Michelle is living the same nightmare I went through.

•••

"Have a nice holiday, love" my taxi driver said, much to my shock as most of them are obnoxious twats.

I looked around at the familiar street that I once called home. The place where so many life events took place, the last being my failed wedding to Nick. Oh how I wish I could go back and make everything okay again.

I walked past the salon and over to the pub where I used to drink myself into a world where I could forget all my worries and hope everything would be okay when I woke up, but sadly they never were.

Being back here feels good, but also very scary. I guess I'm nervous to see how Michelle is coping and the fact I may bump into one of the many people I hurt before i left.

I saw Steve perched beside the bar, looking down into a pint of beer. All I could think to do was hug him, hope that it was a comfort to a clearly broken man. "Carla?" He spoke. His voice sounded raspy, as if he hadn't slept in days.

"I thought I'd come up, see how you two are coping, help out around here if you need it" I said as I looked around at the regular punters, thankfully not spotting anyone I know.

"Thankyou, Michelle is through the back, but I don't know if she's awake.." Steve started. I couldn't care wether she is awake or asleep, I was seeing her and giving her that massive hug I came all this way for.

The back room was dark, a smell of alcohol filled the air and through the darkness I could spot what looked like baby shower gifts dotted across the table. "Michelle? It's me Carla" I said quietly hoping not to scare her.

"Carla?" She said quietly as she sat up slowly, enough for me to see the dark circles of mascara, greasy hair and complete broken expression on her face.

"I'm so sorry..." I said before she pulled me in for the hug I new she wanted. "Don't.. I can't do anymore of this apologising" she explained. Her voice so weak you could barely hear it.

I knew how she felt. I knew the feeling that was running through her veins. It was pain, and guilt. When I lost my baby girl I always blamed myself for not doing my best to keep her safe, not eating the right foods, not doing all I should have, but in the end I couldn't change what had happened, but Michelle needs to grieve for what she's lost.

"Do you want a cup of tea? Wine maybe?" She says as she attempts to remove herself from the couch. "I'll do it, I'll make two teas, stay where you are missy" I say firmly, allowing no room for arguing.

I watched chelle from the kitchen, and id never seen her so destroyed, so lost. I wish I could take all the pain away from her because it's making me sad seeing her like this.

"Here you go" I say as I place the cup of tea down into her hands. "Thanks". Her face let out a small smile before retracting back to the sad, lost expression.