Chapter 9

My eyes automatically travelled in Ace’s direction. I went stiff but soon I found myself shaking and my vision became blurry. I quickly turned my head back, convincing myself that it didn't matter to me and struggling to keep my tears from falling out. Matt was making out with a girl with his dark gaze fixed on me. I clenched my fist and breathed heavily. Why have I been so emotional? I told myself that he was nothing to me, and what he was doing didn’t matter to me! I closed my eyes to clam myself down before I was greeted by Ace’s cool, grey eyes. 

  "He isn’t worth your tears, Lexi." it wasn't until he mentioned that I noticed my eyes were filling up with unshed tears. 

   I used the back of my hand to wipe off the bloody tears before they threatened to appear again. "I know.” I took a sip of the cool soda to chill myself a bit. 

   "That girl was my ex,” Ace uttered bitterly. I almost choked on my soda. I didn't expect that and now I finally understood why Ace's face was marred with inconsolable sadness just now. Suddenly, I felt a pity towards Ace, his case was much worse than mine in a way that his ex girlfriend was making out with his brother. Me? I didn’t even know why I feel sad. There was nothing going on between Matt and me. Only a title of legal couple which tie us together. Without that title, there we had nothing. 

   "Do you still love her?" I blurted out whilst closely inspecting his expression. 

  "I don't know. The feeling has been fading. But-" he grimaced as he continued, "that doesn't look too nice”. 

   I cleared my throat after taking the last sip of the soda, "I think we should go somewhere else," I suggested, I wanted to leave this place, this awkwardness, asphyxiate atmosphere. The longer I stay here; I got the bad feeling that I would break down again. 

   "Yes we should," Ace stood up and kissed my forehead before he held my hand and pulled me away from the table. My mouth opened slightly, I was at a loss for words when he kissed my forehead. 

   I blinked a few times, realizing Matt was still holding my hand, I couldn't stop myself from asking, "Where are you taking me?"  

   "A secret," he replied with a mysterious grin. 

   I glanced over my shoulder only to receive Matt dark stare again, which sent shivers down my spine. I shook off the feeling and quickened my pace to catch up with Ace. 

***

Now, I was facing a high fence with a horrified expression, "you must be kidding me." 

  Ace let out a soft laugh and ruffled his hair, "Its not that scary Lexi. Follow my step and you'll land safely in my arms just like the princess lands perfectly into the arms of the prince on Disney channel". 

   I scoffed at his description, " I'm glad you find this funny but no," I insisted stubbornly, "There's no way in hell that I am going to climb on the tree and jumped over it." 

   Ace shook his head and sighed, "It's not that terrifying." 

   I gulped with my gaze fixed on the scary looking fences in front of me and question the possibilities, "What if you didn't catch me?" 

   "Lexi," Ace said with a roll of his eyes. He shoved his hands into his pocket, “Are we going to argue until someone finds us?" 

   My eyebrows pulled together and I mimicked his sigh, knowing that I was going to do it sooner or later, "Fine, but you have to catch me. Alright?"

  A grin crossed his face as he taped his chest twice with his fist," You can count on me". He climbed onto the tree swiftly and landed on the other side skillfully, as if he had done it numerous times before.