Chapter 4

I slapped my forehead hard with the palm of my hand when I remembered the one important question I had forgotten to ask before they kidnapped me.

"How do you know I kissed him? Maybe it was wrong information?" I winced.

"Oh sorry Miss. I believe I haven't introduced myself fully. My name is James R. Walker." He smirked lightly.

I scowled. James R. Walker... It sounds so familiar. I was sure I had heard it somewhere…

I felt my phone buzz, Mr. Walker turned his head and gave me a look that told me to turn it off or else. I took out my phone to turn it off and that’s when it hit me. James R. Walker was a co-owner of the latest brands of smart phones. Not only that, he also owned lots of big companies around the world. I turned to look at him abruptly, so sudden that I thought I heard a crack in the back of my neck. I faltered.

“Y-you are... James R. Walker?”

I took a big gulp and instantly made a connection in my head. If the man I was talking to was Matt’s father and he happened to be the co-owner of that company, wasn’t Matt the son of that company? My eyes widened in bewilderment. And now, I was going to marry Matt because of one tiny little peck? So should I be pleased because I was going to be billionaire’s wife? Or sad because I was going to marry someone I didn’t know at all? It couldn’t be too bad, could it? Maybe, just maybe, we could understand each other and build our relationship. And Matt was hot, wasn’t it good to have a handsome guy as your husband? Wait, that wasn’t the point! I coughed lightly to get myself back to reality.

“By looking at your expression, I think you realize who I am." Mr. Walker snickered as the smirk became more pronounced.

"Yeah, but why must it be today?" I complained. What are they in such a rush? Can't they arrange another date, like when I was 18 and old enough to marry? I could probably come up with a plan to make them hate me so that they’d somehow cancel my marriage agreement.

"As I mentioned it is our tradition. I wanted you to marry earlier so that you could not run away. But I doubt you’d be able to run anyway,” he muttered the last sentence under his breath, but I heard it clearly.

I rolled my eyes in disbelief, how could I run away from this insane family? They looked like they could kill me anytime soon, without being caught. At times like these, I needed a superhero, like Batman or Spiderman. Why couldn’t they exist? Why was I so unlucky? Did I do something bad in my previous life, like robbing a bank or murdering someone? Why did God hate me so much? I couldn't help but feel the tears start to cloud my vision again.

"Okay…" I muttered. What else could I say?

"Don't cry sweetie, it won't be as bad as you think." James reassured me. It wasn’t him who was going to marry a stranger; of course he would say that. “Asshole” I cursed in my mind.

*

After the conversation, James and the two fierce looking servants brought me to the ballroom. When the huge doors opened, my heart almost stopped. Hundreds of people, all strangers, stopped whatever they were doing, turned their heads and looked at me with wonder.

I gulped down the huge lump which had formed in my throat and stared at them. ‘What should I do?’ I looked at the servants, begging them to help with my eyes. One of them walked closer to me, put her hand on my shoulder and pushed me lightly. I walked inside and looked straight ahead without looking at anyone. After a moment, the silent was replaced by people's voices. Some were gossiping, while some continued what they were doing before I arrived. I took the chance to look around the hall, hoping that I would find my father or maybe Matt.

Then I saw my father sitting at a corner chatting happily with an old man I didn't know. My eyes widened in surprise, I never expected him to be so carefree. Wasn't he mad at me? I blinked my eyes a few more times to make sure it wasn't an illusion. Yes, he was there laughing at the old man’s joke, or so I assumed. My face turned into a frown as I dragged my injured feet towards him.

Dad looked up when he saw me. Still, his expression didn't change. He grabbed my shoulder as I stood beside him, and introduced me to the old man.

"Hey Dan, this is my daughter I mentioned to you earlier, Lexi. And Lexi, this is Dan, one of my old friends." Dan gave me a little nod as he 'analyzed' me from head to toe.

"Wow, it’s been a long time. Fourteen years? I remember when she was just a baby and now she has become such a beautiful young lady." He chuckled. I blushed lightly at his comment. My father grinned from ear to ear as he patted my head, "Yes, time flies, she's a teenager already." I needed to talk to my father before they started another long topic about old times.

"Daddy, can I talk with you privately for a moment?" I requested.

"Alright, would you excuse us for a moment?" Dad told Dan before I pulled him to a corner. I asked, "What happened? Weren't you mad at me just now?" I scowled whilst waiting for his answer.

"Well, you didn't tell me it's James Walker's son," my dad said, shoving his hands into his pockets. "He is an old friend of mine, too.”

"You know him?" I raised one of my eyebrows. He nodded his head, "I'm so glad that you are going to marry such a gentleman, I'm sure he will take good care of you. And he will definitely protect you," he whispered and gave me a wink.

"Huh? Why would he need to protect me?" I was so confused, what the hell was going on? Was I in some sort of danger?

Before my dad could answer my question, I was interrupted by soft sweet music. Oddly, everyone returned to their seat and Dad mumbled, “We’ll talk later." before he pulled me to the red carpet which lead to where Matt was standing. Matt’s face was emotionless, but I swore I could see a hint of anger in his eyes. God, was this really going to happen? I was going to marry him now, right now?

The wedding music we had once heard on a drama was played in the background. Dad gave his arm for me to hold before he gradually walked me down the aisle towards Matt and the priest. I was overcome with jealousy about people who married for love. My marriage was a joke. My dad passed me to Matt, who was shooting glares at me. I looked everywhere but his eyes. This was not going well.

After a long speech given by the priest, I lost myself in thought. Matt then said softy, "I will," which brought me back to reality. Now the priest turned to me and asked," Will you?" I mentally asked myself, could I say no? I stammered, "I-I..." I couldn't say 'I will'. How can I promise something that I won’t? Jeez, everyone was waiting for my response. So I looked to my Dad, who gave me an encouraging nod. I had a quick peek at Matt and he was also waiting for my answer with an irritated look on his face, as if he was telling me to just say yes and get this shit over with as soon as possible. I gazed back at the priest who was waiting for my answer patiently.

Finally I answered, "I will."

The priest then announced for Matt to put the ring on my finger. Matt took the ring and placed it on my ring finger quickly. I blushed when he touched my hand. It was warm, making me wish he could hold it there forever. I then repeated the vows after he did.

The priest announced again," Now the groom shall kiss the bride..." I bit my lips and looked at the floor, searching for a huge hole so that I could hide there forever. Then, Matt held my chin up gently, pecked my lips so lightly that I didn’t really feel a thing. He left so fast that I felt a pang of sadness in my heart.