Chapter 8

I jumped out of the car almost immediately after the car came to a halt .The tension in the car was so thick that you could cut it with a knife.  I hated it. A smile appeared on my face when I saw my two best friends waiting for me at the gate.

    “Chris, Emma!” I shouted as I ran to them.

  They both raised their heads simulteneously, their expressions changing from confusion to happiness when they saw me making my way towards them.

  "Lexi!" Christ squeaked. "What happened to you? And why didn't you switch on your phone?" She complained, protruding her lower lip. 

  "Sorry, I forgot to charge my phone. " My lips pursed slightly as I shrugged causally. 

   "You sure?" She asked skeptically and gave me a wary look as though she was trying to figure out if I was lying. Ignoring her look, I nodded my head and gave an innocent face to make her believe me. Even though Chris was my best friend, I felt a need to keep this 'marriage' secret to myself. It's not that I did not trust her, it’s just that I knew Chris couldn't keep secret to herself. There were numerous times when we shared secrets between bestiest, yet she was the one who always accidentally let the secret out.  

  Emma, on the other hand, was a secret keeper. Thus, I could trust her with anything. I decided to find a time to fill Emma in on the detail when Chris was not around. 

  Emma looked between Chris and me back and fro like a tennis match, her eyebrows were pulled together as she asked, "Did I miss something?" 

  I gave Chris a 'didn’t-you-tell-her' look. Chris cursed softly, making a dramatic face palm while she said, "I'm so sorry Emma, I've totally forgotten to fill you in on all the juicy things that you had missed yesterday! But anyway I'll tell you-" the bell cut her off, indicating us that we were going to be late for class. Chris gasped in horror, “oh god, oh god, oh god..." her arms snaked in Emmas' as she dragged her off to the class. Ignoring Emma protest, she yelled, “see you later Lexi!”

  "See you!" I yelled back and shook my head, chuckling at them. Chris could be so pushy sometimes. Maybe, that's the reason why people like her? She might seem to be a bitchy or bossy friend from the outside, but once you get to know her, she was really fun to hang out with. She took care of her friends well and gave them help whenever they were in troubles. She could always solve things, in a weird way that a normal person couldn’t think of. So in another term, Chris was an abnormal person, she was always hyper and crazy and people around her didn’t really like her much. But everyone has their flaws.

  Unwillingly, I strode through the hallway. I was so not looking forward to school at all. My mood was down since yesterday, and I doubted I would even cheer up anytime soon. Who the hell could cheer up being in this kind of situation? I sighed in defeat with my black and gloomy face. I looked at the floor all along the way to class, drifting into my thoughts. I never noticed there was a guy in front of me until I bumped into a ‘hard wall’ causing a pile of papers to scatter all over the floor. Jeez, what had I gotten myself into this time? Couldn't I be less clumsy and stop all the trouble that seemed to be attracted to me? I blamed myself once again and held back the stupid tears that threatened to come out again like a broken water tap.

  "I-I'm so so sorry," the sound came out to be panicky and nervous as I apologized. I was extremely afraid that the person I bumped into would be mad or accuse me of being clumsy for not looking where I was going; which happened most of the time to me. God, I think I was going to become a scaredy cat all because of Matt. He was such an ass.  

  I went to pick up the papers on the floor and didn’t dare look at the person who I bumped into. 

  "There you are", the gentle voice was filled with enthusiasm. It was familiar and I definitely heard it from somewhere. Wasn't that ... Angel? I shot up my head so fast that it might’ve cracked. And there he was, staring at me with a crooked smile; an incredibly handsome one. 

  "Wh- why ar-are you here?" I stammered, then made a soft cough to clear my throat. Totally stunned at what I was seeing, I was unable to form words properly in a sentence.  

  "This is a school, girl. Why can't I be in school?" he asked in amusement. As if my question was funny, he started to crack up.

  I snapped back to reality when I saw him covering his mouth from laughing out loud. "You’re from this school?" I asked casually, scowling. It was weird that I had never seen him here before. 

  "Yes." he answered simply.

  "Oh well. So.. What class do you have now?” A brief wave of curiosity washed over me as I questioned him. Strange.

  "Physics"

  “We are in the same class," I tried to sound cheerful but it didn’t work out as I’d planned. I didn't notice him in class over the last few years! How could I miss him? I pouted like a child as I tried to dig my memories to remember if I’d see him somewhere in my life. But nothing came out to my mind.

  As if he knew what I was thinking, he helped me answered the question which kept me wondering, "I didn't attend school quite often due to personal reason and I always seat at the back of the class by the way." he winked before escorting me to the class.

  "Oh..." No wonder ... I wanted to ask why he rarely come to school but I realized I didn’t even know his name! ‘Urgh, that’s rude Lexi!’ I scolded myself mentally.

  “Mmm, what may I call you?"

  "What do you want to call me?" he asked back with a smirk instead of answering. 

  "Angel," The word slipped off before I could even control it and I felt my cheek went warm instantly due to the fact that it was so embarrassing.

  "Angel?" He made a face.

  I shrugged, "I-it just slipped off out of my mouth.." I took a big gulp… Jeez, why was I so nervous around him?

  A corner of his lips was pulled to a side as he held his had out," Name’s Ace. Close to angel by the way." not forgetting to add his famous crooked smile. 

  "I'm Lexi." I shook his hand and my cheek went redder if possible. "Let go to class Ace. We're going to be late..." I said, trying to change the topic and stop myself from humiliation.

  We got there just in time. Ace decided to sit beside me and unsurprisingly I earned glares from the other girls. At the back of my mind, I was still thinking if I saw or heard of Ace but I quickly shook off the thought when our physics teacher started the lesson. 

  Ace and I chatted throughout the whole lesson. He told me he was Matt brother which was the reason why I met him in the mansion. He was absolutely different from Matt from appearance wise. His eye colour was grey, as opposed to Matt’s blue ones. If he didn't mention he was Matt brother I doubt anyone would know about it. Ace also told me things about him like his favourite food, color, movies and games. We got to know about each other more and it confirmed that Ace was actually a great guy to hang out with. There was second I had a tiny little selfish wish that Ace was my husband instead of Matt. 

  I didn’t really need to listen to the class as I already studied all the topics by myself during the break. I was a good student after all and because of that people automatically gave me a nickname called nerdgly. It was a mixed of nerd and ugly. A nickname I strongly hated it when those popular group; including Matt, said it to me. Seriously, I was dying to slap them but I held back cause the consequence would not be pretty.

  Finally it was lunch break; I could get some fresh air. We bought our food and found a place when suddenly Ace asked, "What do you think about Matt?" I startled for a moment, never excepting to be asked this question.

  "I don't know... But I think he is cold." I replied honestly. 

  "Cold?"

  "As in unfriendly ... But I think it's my fault because I get him into these mess." I bit my lower lip felling remorseful for what I did, I adverted my gaze away from Ace not having the courage to look into his mesmerizing gray eyes.

  "Don’t worry he’ll get over it" Ace sent me a reassuring smile and bite into his sandwich.

  “Oh crap…” Ace spoke. His eyes were fixed in one direction with an expression that looked as though he saw a ghost…