Chapter 32 | Backstories

Al POV

I went to answer the door, but I didn't understand who would be calling at a time like this. I sniffed, my nose being runny, and hurried to get to the door after throwing away almost five tissues. I had been a wreck since Calum and I had talked. What was worse was that I had a ton of homework that I had been previously neglecting. Now I just needed some free time to finish it.

That's why I was both surprised and a little annoyed when I saw Caitlyn standing at the door with Eddie and Hailey at her sides. I raised my eyebrows. "Um, hi, Caitlyn."

She looked at me urgently. "Hi, sorry for this being such short notice, Al, but I really need you to take the kids today. Just for a few hours. I'll pay five dollars extra per hour."

I was taken aback. She hadn't even called to warn me that they were coming. Did she think I could just wait upon her every need? I understood that her job was unpredictable, but she could have at least called. "Sure, but you should have called Caitlyn."

"I know, I know. But there was no time. Thank you, I'll see you tonight!" She was about to leave, but I had to yell her back.

"Tonight? Caitlyn, I'm sorry, but I have plans tonight. I can't keep the kids until then." I made sure to sound firm so she would get the point. One of the problems between our interaction is that I was often the only one actually interacting. She would usually just brush everything off and pretend it was all okay. But it wasn't, I actually had a life, as surprising as that might have sounded.

And I wasn't lying. I really did have plans. I was going to go out with this girl from school I had met recently. She seemed really nice and I needed some escape from this one, set group of friends. I needed to expand. I was feeling suffocated. Especially with Calum and I not talking, a girls night out was just what I needed.

But I couldn't go out with any of the other girls. Ashley was just too obsessed with Ashton. It would make me sick, jealous, and sad. So that was out. Kate had just gone on her date with Luke so that would probably be all she'd talk about. And Jodie was way too insecure when it came to these things. Maybe someone new who didn't know about everyone else would be great.

Caitlyn sighed at my words. "Well, how about you drop them off at their grandparents'? It's not that far, here, let me give you the address."

I loved how she just assumed that I could drive them to their grandparents' house. She was lucky enough that I could, but only this time. I made sure she knew that. "Yeah, this time I can, but usually I wouldn't be able to." There. Now she wouldn't rely on me to drive them to their grandparents' house. Judging by the address, it wasn't that close either. I wasn't surprised. People who were too busy to pay attention to their children usually exaggerated a lot. This wasn't 'not that far' at all.

That made me wonder what happened to their dad. Why did Caitlyn have to work so hard? How did these kids feel about not having a dad? Well, I could kind of relate to them. I felt a pang in my chest. I didn't really have a dad either.

Before I could get emotional, I just nodded and said bye to Caitlyn, closing the door behind her retreating face. I turned to kids, then remembered that my face was red and full of snot. Stupid Calum. I smiled at the kids and led them to the living room, turning on the TV. "Here guys, come sit and watch TV while I just freshen up. And please be quiet, guys."

I walked upstairs to the bathroom, making sure to be quiet. It was the weekend, and Ashley didn't have any work today so she decided to sleep in. It was early morning, after all. I was only up because I couldn't sleep.

When I went into the bathroom, I made sure to leave the door open just a crack so that I could hear if anything had gone wrong with the kids. I sighed and looked at myself in the mirror, trying to calculate my schedule for the day. I looked like a truck just ran over me. So, I would busy the kids, while trying to finish my homework, then when I was done, I would go out tonight with this new girl, Daisy. It didn't seem like we would form a very tight bond, but it was a nice thought to go out with someone new.