Chapter 33 | How Romantic

Michael POV

I turned my pillow around to the cool side in frustration. I had probably been trying to sleep for an hour but it just wasn't coming to me. I didn't know why. My mind was just racing with pointless things. Had I remembered to charge my phone? Wait, why couldn't I remember what I had for breakfast this morning? Did I go pee before I came to bed? I wouldn't want to have to get up in the middle of the night. What did squid taste like? I groaned. What was happening to me? There; that was a quality question.

Then there was a knock at the door. I groaned. I couldn't catch a break, could I? Well, if I hadn't had an excuse to get up and pee before, I had one now. I got up and walked to the door in a daze. It was almost 1 in the morning. Who would be knocking at this time? Ashton and Ashley had gone to some house party of some chick at Ashley's school, so it might have been Ashton. But no, he had a key; why would he need to knock? I sighed then let out a yelp and a curse when my foot hit the leg of a table. I didn't remember that being there.

Whoever it was at the door got impatient and knew now that I was home by my clumsy scream. They started ringing the doorbell; one, two, three, four times until I got frustrated and yelled, "All right, I'm coming!"

I was surprised to see Jodie at the door when I opened it. She was wearing a mini dress that was slung all over the place, heels that looked like they were breaking her ankles right then and there, and way too much makeup. And the makeup was all over her face too, so she looked like a clown. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I saw her swaying slightly and realized that she was totally plastered.

"H-hey, Mike! Wassuuup bro?" she slurred, hanging her arm around my shoulder. The smell of alcohol on her breath hit me and made me a bit nauseous. Jesus, I thought, since when was she like this? Then I remembered the Jodie I had first met. She looked just like this one that was in front of me now. Skimpy clothes and too much makeup. She looked kind of like an opossum with all of that mascara and black eye shadow. I didn't even understand. She thought she looked beautiful like this?

I grunted as she put all of her weight on me suddenly. I picked up her waist and sort of dragged her along to sit in the kitchen while I grabbed her a glass of water. After she was finished with that, I took her to the sink and washed her face off. Then I gave her two Advils and a piece of bread for her soon-to-be headache and another glass of water.

I went to my room quickly to get a pair of basketball shorts and a t-shirt. When I went back downstairs, she was nowhere to be found. I heard a small commotion and I went closer to it, finding myself at the bathroom door and hearing puking noises from the other side. I didn't need to make a guess. That's gross, I thought. When the smell of vomit finally overwhelmed me, I just spoke through the door, "Hey, I left the clothes outside Jo. Can you dress yourself? I'm in the living room if you need me."

I retreated and heard flushing noises. I wanted to barf all in my own just hearing and smelling it all. I was never getting drunk, ugh that was nasty. I wouldn't put someone else in this position. Why had she even gotten herself drunk in the first place?

I heard the door open and Jodie sniff. I decided that I had better walk back there because I doubted she would be coming out on her own anytime soon. I made sure to savor my last breath of fresh air before I went back into the battlegrounds. When I went closer, I saw Jodie's red face sticking out from behind the door.

"Why are you crying, Jodie?"

She sniffed again. "My dress is stuck." She sounded like a child.

Then what she was actually asking me hit me. She wanted to help me get her dress off? "Um...are you decent? Somewhat?"