Chapter 25 | It's Not Over Yet

Ashley POV

I dialed the numbers on the phone and waited patiently for it to ring. I heard the phone shift on the other side and knew that it was being answered.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mom!" I exclaimed excitedly.

I heard her sigh on the other side. "Hi, hun. How are you?" She sounded tired.

"I'm okay. Mom, is this a bad time?"

She sighed again. "Kind of, hunny. I'm sorry, I love you, but I was kind of in the middle of something important. Can I call you back? Maybe tomorrow?"

I frowned and felt tears sting the insides of my eyes. I didn't know why I was surprised. I knew they loved me but they always seemed to be busy. "It's okay, Mom. I love you, too."

"I really am sorry, hunny. I know that whatever you had to say was important."

"No, don't worry about it. It's nothing more important than whatever you're doing, I'm sure."

"Was that a smart-ass answer my daughter gave me?" she said playfully.

I chuckled weakly. "I always was the smart one, Mommy."

"I know you were," she said seriously.

"I love you, Mom. Just don't forget to call me tomorrow, please. Because I really do want to tell you before I tell Dad, if you know what I mean."

She gasped suddenly. "It's a boy, isn't it?"

I blushed and was thankful that she couldn't see me through the phone. "Mom," I groaned.

"It is! It's a boy! My daughter has something going on with a boy!" She sounded proud. Too proud.

"No!" I groaned again. "I have nothing 'going on'! It's just...something I'd rather talk to you about first. Dad would probably die."

"Oh, hunny. I totally know what you mean. When I was your age, my dad would -"

"Mom," I interrupted. "Don't you have work to do?"

"Oh!" She made me jump. "You're right! Okay, love you, bye!"

"Love you too, Mom. Bye."

**********

im not the most romantic but i just heard that the fun fair is in town. first date, possibly? ;-)

My phone beeped as I got the text from Ashton. I felt a grin grace my face, and when Al suddenly came in, looking tired, she immediately sighed and asked, "Ashton?"

I simply nodded and she sighed.

"You're stressed," I stated. It was her turn to nod, and I added, "And you're on your period."

She grimaced. "Guilty."

Most girls turned into the rudest people you would ever meet when they were on their periods. I turned into a nasty mood swing machine. But Al was different: she had the misfortune of turning into the most stressed and tired person you will ever find. She hardly ever got any sleep and it came back to bite her in the butt.

I gave her a sympathetic smile and got up off of my comfy seat on the couch, completely forgetting about the text from Ashton.

"Tea? Just hot water? What do you need?" I asked.

She groaned, dropped her backpack on the floor, and plopped down onto the couch where I was previously sitting, clutching her stomach and sinking into the stuffing.