Chapter 39 | Life Was Good

Al POV

I felt bad for Ashley. I really did. Despite all of our past arguments and disputes, she was my best friend. And I knew that all of this drama with Ashton was really bothering her. Just because we didn't talk as much didn't mean we weren't as close as ever.

I lay awake in bed thinking about it. I was really lucky to have Calum. The way that we got together was...unconventional, but he really was incredibly sweet underneath it all. Regardless of his tendency to be a flirt, I still really liked him. Maybe I even loved him.

Well, if anything, I knew that I really missed him. He had had to go back to London for some songwriting. Management told the boys that they couldn't be too distracted by their girlfriends or families for a while. I nearly pounced on someone when I heard. They were so controlling. I knew it was their jobs, but they could at least be tactful. 

I thought of how I had gotten to this point. It all obviously started when Ashley's family took me in, but this part of my life started later. It was high school. Those horrible, yet somehow wonderful years. Ashley and I were inseperable, we were friends then girlfriends of 5 Seconds of Summer, we started babysitting Eddie and Hailey....

I missed them. They reminded me of how much I really loved children. Hailey. That kid was special. She actually reminded me of Ashley, but much quieter. She was so wise for her age. She gave me the kick I needed to approach Calum again. "So I think that if you felt good after the nightmare, then that was real life. The feeling bad was just part of the nightmare and you shouldn't believe that part." 

And Eddie. No matter what, he always loved me. Even if I didn't buy him ice cream sometimes. He showed me that love is unconditional and undying. And happy. He was always happy. He always made me happy. Matter of fact, he always made everyone happy. He was just so funny and cute. He was exhausting, sure, but they both were worth it.

I went back to my list: there were the boys, Eddie and Hailey, then there was Leslie and Jack.

Man, I had hated them. They had disgusted me. Both of them. I couldn't believe people could be so shallow. But then I found out the truth. I knew where everything was coming from. Now I just felt bad for the both of them. It made me wonder what they were doing now. Somehow they had gotten me to this point too. Maybe they fueled me somehow. Because of them, I needed to show maybe the world, maybe Calum, maybe even just myself, that I wouldn't ever end up like that. And above it all, I owed them. I owed them a lot. They taught me not to judge at first sight - or even second sight. 

And now I had an art studio, my art was actually selling - slowly, but it was selling - and I was the girlfriend of the famous Calum Hood of 5 Seconds of Summer.

Life was good.

**********

picture of winnie to the side.

ashley x

[Q&A CLOSED]