Chapter 16 | Lost and Found

Calum POV

To say that I was frightened of Ashton's reaction was an understatement. I despised makeup with all of my being, but I would never be so infuriated simply because someone made me look like a clown that tries too hard to get head spot in the circus.

After he had sent me away, I walked in what I thought was the right direction towards the arena. I wasn't paying the best attention to my surroundings while we were walking away to who-knows-where; I just hoped I was walking the right way.

After walking in the same direction for about ten minutes without any luck, I tried retracing my steps, hoping that Ashton was right where I left him.

Unfortunately, my hopes were useless, because I didn't see Ashton anywhere once I arrived at our previous resting spot. I didn't find a sign of him. I sighed in regret as I sat down on the log that Ashton had been sitting on, made myself as comfortable as possible, and hoped that Ashton wouldn't get lost and would come back to find me.

********

Ashton POV

"Calum!" My voice had almost reached its limit as my shouts grew as frantic and panicked as ever.

I was surely lost by now, with no help and no hope of finding Calum.

Suddenly, I saw something that looked like a streetlamp about fifty feet away. I ran towards it, my breaths becoming desperate as my energy dimmed. I felt a minute satisfaction as I found the streetlight.

It was an empty, barren road and I knew that if I walked too far in either direction, that I would most-likely get lost, so I decided to wait and hope that a car would drive by. With any luck, they might be unusually kind people who pick up hitchhikers.

I had been waiting for about fifteen minutes when I saw a black SUV driving in my direction. I quickly jumped up from my not-so-comfortable seat on the curb and waved my arms around, praying that the car would stop.

My prayers were thankfully answered because the car stopped on my side of the road. Through the windshield, I saw a frantic - probably female - figure unbuckle herself. At once, she exited, along with the other people in the van. Once I saw their faces, I ran towards the car in relief, thanking my luck. She threw her arms around me and said, "Thank God!"

I was surprised, to say the least, but I was so relieved that I hugged her back. I was saved.

Don't be a sissy, it was like 20 minutes in LA you were lost, not four months in Madagascar. 

********

Calum POV

I was getting cold. I shuddered and rubbed my hands on my arms in an attempt to keep warm. It's not like I was unfamiliar to cold weather - in fact, it wasn't that cold at all, considering we were in Los Angeles. The fact of the matter was, I was only wearing a thin tank and a pair of jeans, and the evening time was pretty chilly.

I was waiting, waiting...waiting. After what seemed like hours (but was most likely only half an hour or so), I heard voices.

"Hello?" I called out desperately. "Who's there?"

"Calum?"

********

Ashley POV (back in the dressing room)

After Ashton had run out, Calum ran out after him. We debated whether or not someone should follow them, our conclusion being to leave them. We thought Ashton would be better off with some space from everyone else.

No one understood why Ashton behaved the way he did, but I had a theory. I didn't tell anyone, in case I was completely incorrect, but I was fairly sure I knew.