Chapter 28 | Choices

Ashton POV

"And your Choice New Artist is..." Jessica opened the envelope in record time: it felt like forever until she opened her mouth and said those life-changing words. "Bastille!"

And just like that. I felt my mouth go dry as I absentmindedly applauded. The crowd went wild as I expected they would. I felt like my world was crashing down. I glanced over at the rest of the boys, overlooking Ashley, with a forced smile planted on my face and I saw that they had the same expressions that I did. All the while, I could have probably felt Ashley restraining herself from breaking into tears. I felt the same way, to be honest. I could just see it from her face: she had pursed her lips and was practically chewing on them, she looked everywhere but where she was supposed to, and she was blinking quickly.

As Bastille gave their brief speeches, I found myself thinking, How could this happen? We worked so hard for this. No one else could possibly have worked as hard as us. We deserved this more than anyone. We were better. We were the best.

After we were done clapping for Bastille as they left the stage, I felt Ashley grab my hand again and I knew what she was trying to telepathically tell me: You deserved it, Ash. So did the other boys. It'll be alright. 

I just couldn't wait until we got away from this stupid awards show. Why did we even come here in the first place?

From the corner of my eye, as Selena Gomez came up on stage to present the next award, I saw Ed whispering into Harry's ear and Harry nodding. Probably just gossiping about us, I thought sourly.

Then Ed leaned over towards me and whispered in my ear. "Hey, mate, Harry and I both reckon that you boys deserved that award."

I forced a smile and nodded my thanks, but I think he could tell it was fake. I knew he had gone through this before. He nodded and turned back in his seat but the lingering look he gave me wasn't one of false pretenses. He understood. That probably reassured me more than anything. It would be okay.

Selena had left the stage, and Justin Bieber had a new award to put on his awards shelf (probably more like 'shelves'). Now Jennifer Lawrence had come onstage to present the next award.

"So you guys know that feeling of having an OTP?" The crowd exploded and started chanting once more: "OTP, OTP, OTP!" Jennifer smiled and waited for a small while for them to finish. After they had quieted down a bit, she continued. "So we all have our favorite couples whom we can't help but fangirl over. I certainly know that you guys do." She winked and some of the assembly of people laughed lightly. "But now was the time for you to vote for your favorites. And here they are: your Choice Couples!"

The list was read off as I merely slumped in my seat. For some reason though, Ashley seemed on edge. She didn't make it obvious, but I could tell. "What's wrong?" I murmured out of the side of my mouth, as a few couples were read off. Just some people who were co-stars before, and then started 'dating.' Nothing out of the ordinary.

Ashley merely shushed me and watched the screen reading off the names. Her eyes nearly looked glued to the screen.

And then something amazing happened.

"Ashton Irwin and Ashley Aimer." 

And all of a sudden, Ashley practically spasmed. One hand was over her mouth and she had nearly whacked me in the face with it, while her other was holding mine in a vicelike grip. Yet her eyes never left the screen, as if she thought the names would magically disappear if her eyes strayed from it.

I, on the other hand, was completely frozen in my seat. Was this really happening? Would I take an actual award home tonight? We, my mind amended. We.