Arc 3 - Chapter 30: A Reluctant Spirit

The flow of time continued its perpetual march, the day turning to the night as the sun slowly drowned onto the edge of the land. Tenma was now preparing to head out...to the Glades of Aerris, which he hoped would take him to his former home. By doing so...he hoped to ease Sakura's suffering. Tenma – for now alone for his friends waited outside - walked to the castle door, and stepped through where Cordelia awaited him "Tenma...welcome back"

"Hey Cordelia" said Tenma looking outside to the darkening world "It's about time for us to go. Is Hana ready?"

"She was ready a short time ago. Her Highness thought to sit by Sakura's side, while she awaited your return. Come this way"

As Tenma walked along, Cordelia gave him a glance noting the uncertainty in his face "Tenma...don't be so downhearted. Things will work out?"

"It shows huh?" he said before sighing "It not necessarily the trip...that concerns me, it's where I'll be going...that I can honestly say...I'm not looking forward to"

"You...grew up on Earth correct? Was the world...really that bad?"

"It's not the world itself that's the problem...it was more the life I had to live there. Do you remember how I was...the first day I arrived here? That was...pretty much my life back on Earth"

Tenma hung his head as he spoke his lonely words "I was pretty much a friendless wimp, and I always felt like I didn't belong" Cordelia patted his shoulder

"Well...you belong here that's why" Cordelia said with a smile "and don't you forget it" Tenma smiling a bit

"I know...it's just...awkward to return there. Here's hoping...it's not too long"

Tenma entered the room, filled with beds along the wall, where Sakura still rested upon one of them. Hana was sat by her side, washing down Sakura's forehead with a cloth, who still looked to be mildly suffering. By Hana's chair was a brown rough-looking rucksack which was buttoned up by a strap on the front.

Hana, upon hearing their footsteps, turned to them both "Tenma...hello once more. Is it time for us to go?"

"It is..." he said before looking at the rucksack "Did you get all we needed?"

"Water, provisions, some bandaging and a writing book"

"A...writing book?"

"I know it's not a pleasure trip...but I thought to make any notes that might be necessary to remember. Like what you told me about my powers and keeping them hidden"

"Good idea actually" he said coming over "Lucile is waiting for us outside the town by the entranceway. Ariana's there too...she insisted on giving a lift"

Hana softly chuckled as she pulled off the duvet off Sakura "That's...rather like her" Well...shall we go?"

"Now...how to carry her?" Tenma asked himself "I could carry her by the arms and legs, but that may draw attention. If I give her piggy-back" he then looked to Sakura's endowed bosom "I'm going to have those pressing on me" Cordelia snickered

"Surely you can endure it for a time" Tenma sighed "or will it be too distracting?"

"I know...I'll manage. Sorry...just trying to lighten the mood. I'll carry her out the town by her arms and legs, be easier then to transfer her to Ariana"

"That...sounds like the best. I'll join you on the way out...and give you a good sendoff"

Tenma walked through the town, with Sakura in his arms while Cordelia and Hana walked by his side, with a rucksack over her shoulder. As Tenma thought he got a few looks...but due to the lateness of the day the town was sparse. Cordelia couldn't help but see Tenma...struggling a little "Tenma...if it's too difficult I could carry her" she suggested