Chapter 3: A Light in the Darkness

It was dark and silent in the town of Radiant Dawn. Most of the citizens were now asleep but within one of the houses a light was still on belonging to an anxious mother awaiting the return of her daughter. The woman was Clara who waiting in worry in her kitchen/dining room. It was a simple square with the kitchen at the back and a square table in the middle.

Clara was pacing and kept looking at the front door "she's taking a very long time" she said anxiously "I do hope nothing has happened to her out there" just then the door opened "that must be her" Clara walked down the hallway "Lucile there you are. Do you know how worried I've been?" she then paused and saw Lucile holding someone "Lucile? Who've you got there?"

Lucile was supporting a tired Mark "Mom...sorry I'm late. The short story is I ran into a bit of trouble" Clara looked at Mark's clothing "and this guy is not that well" Clara recognised him

"Its look like the poor dear couldn't find any help after all" Clara said a bit sadly

"Wait...you know him?"

"Just take him through to the living room. I'll tell you then" Lucile nodded as Clara shut the door behind them.

Lucile gently put Mark down on a brown sofa in an average looking living room. The living room had two brown double sofas, one along the wall closest to the door and one facing the front window. There was also a tall bookcase with many books of different shapes and sizes, a gramophone and an odd looking floating screen in the corner.

Mark was just sat still while Lucile told her story "...so in the end I found it" said Lucile displaying her clear orb "but Zasha the robed witch found me"

"Oh gosh...are you alright?" said Clara sounding timid "Zasha is known for her violent nature. Are you okay?"

"Well...I'm not putting lightly Mom. If it wasn't for this guy...I'd rather not think about it" Lucile breathed out in relief "Anyway you seem like you know him. But how do you know him?"

Clara sighed "he said he was Mark and came into our town early in the day. He looked horribly lost and was just searching for a way to get home" Mark was now asleep sat up "it looks like he had no luck"

"Yeah...he's all petered out" said Lucile with some sympathy

"I think we'll let him stay the night"

"Okay. I'll go get him a pillow and sheet" said Lucile walking away.

The two then gently rested Mark down on a pillow before covering him with a blanket. Clara rubbed his face looking sorry for him "he looks so weak. And almost fragile"

 "Yeah he does" said Lucile looking at him "Mom...did he say at all where his home was?"

"I believe he said it was Thornton. But I've never heard of a town by that name"

"And neither have I. And it's as I thought" said Lucile "He's not from Dark Sabre"

Lucile then sighed "Well...whatever this town is. It doesn't exist in this continent" Lucile then knelt down next to him "I'm going to read his mind Mom. It might give us an idea where his town is"

"Don't be intrusive Lucile" said Clara firmly "Keep it as light as possible" Lucile than held out her hands to Mark and concentrated. Clara watched as Lucile focused "so...what do you see dear?"

"Well...I can see images of his town and It's strange. The housing looks attached to each other, and there's these mechanical transports going along dark roads. The populace wear clothes similar to ours but some are brightly coloured and have odd patterns. And the people look plain and ordinary" Lucile then began to shake