Chapter 27

When we got to school, I walked over to the bathrooms and saw that Kevin was standing by his friends. He was wearing an Avalanche Diaries t-shirt that said ‘I Can’t Breathe Anymore’ and his black skinny jeans. I walked over to him, “We need to talk.” I grabbed him and we walked over by the small gym and the lifting room. “Whats going on with you?” I looked at him with confusion. “What are you,” “You are always trying to be with me.” “I just was telling you how I felt. I needed to get it off my shoulders so I could move on.” Move on, those words stung like the sun on my back in my dream. I breathed in slowly, “So you’ve moved on?” I nodded. “Yes.” He looked at the ground. I fumbled with my fingers knowing that he was lying. “I think I still like you.” The words broke out of my mouth. “What?” His mouth opened a little. “I think I still like you,” My heart started going fast and my stomach went all crazy, “but I love Daniel.” “Okay,” He raised his eyebrows. “well I, um, don’t know what to say.” He bit the side of his cheek and rubbed his neck. “I wish you would’ve told me before.” I sighed. “Why? You would’ve been heartbroken when you left.” He looked at the vending machines. “Yeah, but I wouldn’t have started flirting with Daniel, and we could be together right now.” I rubbed the tea pot charm on my bracelet. “So you wish you weren’t with Daniel?” He glanced from my eyes to my hands playing with the charm.

“No, not at all. I love Daniel he’s perfect for me, but those feelings I had for you started to come back when I read your message. I don’t even really know you, besides we both like the same music and hobbies.” I felt lost. “I have liked you since I sat by you in 6th grade science.” He smiled a little and then it went away. “I don’t want to fight, but I don’t think we should hang out.” I choked. “What? Why? I thought you liked me.” He got upset. “I do, and thats why we shouldn’t hang out. I’m with Daniel and I have an amazing relationship with him. I’m only here for a few days every month anyway.” I felt both of our hearts sink. “This isn’t fair Kat!” He shook his head back and fourth. “I’m sorry.” I felt tears build up. “Goodbye Kevin.” I pushed past him and ran toward the lunchroom. I went into the bathroom and cleaned myself up. I walked over to my friends and we went to the iLEAD room. I watched Kevin walk back to his friends and sit down.

“Why were you with Kevin?” Sarah asked. “We had some old business to finish up.” I plastered a fake smile on. “Are you into him? He’s cute, but he hangs out with the douche bag posse.” Anne smiled. “No! I don’t like him.” I yelled making it obvious. “Whatever.” the girls giggled. For the rest of the day I couldn’t concentrate on anything, my brain either thought about the dream or Kevin. 

At the end of the day I grabbed all my stuff and threw my back pack on. I couldn’t find Anne or any of the others, so I just figured they were at the car already. I started walking to the parking lot. I heard someone say my name quietly so I turned around, but no one was there except the exit door was closing. ‘It is the end of the day, people are leaving now.’ I thought to myself when I got to car. I leaned up against it and texted Anne. A few minutes later Anne, Tylinn, Sarah, and Kevin came out. “Kat, can I talk to you for a second?” Kevin wrinkled his face trying to see in the sun light. I shrugged and threw my stuff in Anne’s car. “I’ll be right back.” I patted the side of Anne’s car.

Kevin and I walked over to the bushes and he smiled. “What?” I asked. “Look, I know earlier you told me we shouldn’t talk and yeah, yeah, but I want to.” He smiled. “Look, I said that stuff for a reason, I can’t like you.” I sighed. Inside me I knew that ripped him apart because secretly it did to me as well. “Why not?” “I’ve explained this, I’m with Daniel!” “I know but, we can still hang out!” “I don’t want to.” “Why?” “If I do It will bring up those old feelings again, and I’m sick of them. I love Daniel, now lets move on!” I brushed past him. “Wait!” He grabbed my arm. “What? I whined yanking my arm back. “Can we hang out tonight? Just as friends?” He shrugged. “I don’t know?” “Please? Just as friends, we can get to know each other better. We only knew each other as classmates and stuff.” He smiled. My brain was screaming, ‘NO! DON’T DO IT!’ but my heart was too bust melting away. “If I do, will you stop pushing me into things?” “I promise.” Then he trudged to his truck and I went to Anne’s car.

“Did everything go okay?” Anne smiled. “Yeah, um I’m going to his house for a little bit after school.” “Ohh.” Anne and Tylinn raised their eye brows and hummed. “Shut up and drive safe.” I smiled and slammed her door shut. I walked over to Kevin’s truck and threw my bags in the back. “Ready? I have a surprise.” He smiled. “I’m ready, friend.” I smiled. We backed out and he drove me to Anne’s house, but pulled in the parking lot across the street that lead to a big white house. 

We got out and walked into the house. He turned on the lights and we walked to this little room that had a flatscreen t.v. and a few bean bags. “Sit and I’ll be right back.” he laughed. I thought that it was weird that he lived right here and  Anne lived there and no one told me about this. He came back a few minutes later with some sour gummy worms and pizza rolls. He turned on the t.v. and GTA5 popped up. “I’m going to treat you like a friend and were going to chill.” He laughed and handed me the controller. “You can play first, I got some homework to do.” He smiled. After a while it was his turn. Then we got tired of playing the game and we watched, ‘The Perks Of Being A Wallflower’. Half way through the movie he got up and made me some tea. I followed him into the kitchen. “Your house is huge. I never would’ve thought that you live here.” I smiled. “Why cause I wear band tees and have metal in my face?” “No, because this looks like a rich old guys house.” I smiled he laughed and set the water filled kettle on the fire and we sat there.

“Did you really like me that much?” I looked at the floor avoiding eye contact with him. He laughed, “Yeah, I really did.” “How did I not know?” I bit my lip thinking about everything. “I don’t know, I was just aiming careless with my heart I guess. I did have a crush on Gracie Melaka. She moved way before I had a crush on you though.” He laughed. “I don’t understand something.” I slid onto his counter and swung my feet. “What?” He smiled. “I like you, you like me, and we just found this out now?” I wrinkled my forehead thinking about it. “Yeah. Its all in the past, but theres one thing I’m confused on.” Kevin smiled and walked over towards me. “Like 2 maybe 3, minutes ago you said like as in present tense when you said, I like you, and you like me.” “I did?” I smiled a little embarrassed. “Yep.” He smiled. The tea kettle started screaming so he put the tea bags in the water and let them sit, then we headed back to the room.

We sipped our tea and finished the movie. I ended up rolled up in a ball in his arms asleep. He gent ally shook me, “Kat, you’ve got to get home.” He laughed. I got up and stretched.
“You know your  sleepwalking is kind of cute.” He laughed. “No I didn’t.” I gasped. “Haha you did, you said, ‘I love you.’” He laughed, I play smacked him in the arm. I sighed, “Alright I’ll call Anne.” “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow at school then. I hate to leave you alone, but I have to get ready for bed.” He smiled. “Its okay.” Shortly after he went upstairs, I went up there too.