Chapter 12

Around 1:30 p.m. Daniel texted me. “Hey beautiful.” I smiled and replied, “Hola Guapo.” Sometimes when I get happy I speak Spanish. “Whatchya doing?” I replied, “I am on Facebook.” Then I heard my balcony door slide open scaring the bajesus out of me. It was Daniel holding something. “You almost gave me a heart attack!” I snapped. “You’re cute when you’re scared.” He smiled. “How’d you even get up here?” I smiled not so angry anymore. “The balcony stairs were down.” “Oh, anyway what do you want?” I smiled play slapping Daniel’s arm.

“I came here to bring you these.” Daniel smiled and he held out two boxes. No one had given me presents before. I felt tears weld up in my eyes so I blinked and hugged him. I opened the small box first. It had a small gold band ring with an aquamarine stone in it, with a little note attached. The note read, ‘They say that love is forever, your forever is all that I need. Please stay as long as you need. I can’t promise that things won’t be broken, but I swear that I’ll never leave. Please stay, forever with me. <3’ They were the lyrics from, ‘If I’m James Dean, then you’re Audrey Hepburn. 

I opened the bigger box and it had a gold necklace with a silver key. On the silver key there was a little diamond. There was also a note in this one too. It read, ‘I want to hold your hand so tight, I going to break my wrist.’ These were lyrics from, ‘Bulletproof Love.’ “The ring is a promise ring, and the necklace, this is going to sound cheesy, it the key to my heart. Oh, and those are our birthstones. I slid the ring on the put the necklace on over my Anthem Made T-shirt. I gave Daniel a small kiss. 

“I feel terrible.” I sighed. “Why would you feel terrible?” Daniel responded. “You’re not breaking up with me are you?” He looked so scared. “No. That, no. I feel bad because I didn’t get you anything yet.” I pouted. I look of relief rippled down Daniels face. “You don’t have too, you’re all I need.” Daniel wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled. I‘ve never felt more safe, happy, and secure than I did in Daniel’s arms.

“I love you.” I let those three words slip out of my mouth. “I closed my eyes regretting that I said that because it probably freaked him out, but then I felt him kiss my forehead and say, “I love you too.” Do you think Abigail would mind if I borrowed you for today?” I tensed up at his request. “I’ll have to ask.” I smiled.

I slipped out from Daniel’s hug, and ran down stairs. Abigail was watching Ellen. “Hey Abigail?” I smiled. “Yeah?” Abigail smiled. “Um, do you, mind, if I, ugh.” I stuttered. “Spit it out.” Abigail laughed. “Um, can I go with Daniel?” I nervously asked. “Where?” Abigail looked confused. “Um, it’s a surprise.” I chocked. “Aww, I think he likes you!” I smile and shrugged. “Maybe.” I lied. “Yes.” She smiled. I smiled and ran upstairs. I grabbed my purse and my water melon lip gloss. “I’ll take that as a yes?” Daniel smirked. I smiled and we walked out to his car. I took a long breath in, and smelled the grassy earth smell. Then I exhaled. 

We drove for a short time and we ended up at this small place called, ‘Eric’s Man Cave.’ I was unsure about this but then Daniel locked his fingers in mine and he smiled. We walked in to the big red painted wooden doors. The smell of chocolate over whelmed me. When we walked in, there was a long hallway, with two signs. There was an arrow pointing left and it read, ‘Arcade’ and the other sign had an arrow pointing right and it said, ‘Food.’ 

I turned to Daniel and said, “My two favorite things.” I laughed. We went right first. We walked down the big wooden hallway. I started to hear music, it was ‘Beat It’ by Michael Jackson. When we finally reached the end of the hallway, Daniel led me in to the booth. He ordered a burger and fries with a chocolate milkshake. I just ordered a small order of fries and a coke. 

“I don’t want to see your face, you better disappear. The fire’s in your eyes and your words are really clear so beat it. Just beat it.” I sang along. “Fine!” Daniel fake pouted and stood up. When our orders arrived, Daniel put two straws in his milkshake. “Try it.” I smiled and sipped it. It was the most delicious milk shake ever. They make the ice cream here by hand. I smiled.

After we ate Daniel didn’t pay he just stood up and walked down the hallway again. This time he walked in to the arcade, and I followed him. We played air hockey and ski ball. Then we played in the giant claw machine. Daniel won me a giant panda bear. My cheeks hurt after we went because I smiled so much.

When we left I asked Daniel why he din’t pay. He smiled and said, “My grandpa’s name is Eric.” I smiled and giggled. As we drove I watched out the window. I watched every single tree we passed. Then I saw a shadow standing next to a tree. I swallowed a lump in my throat and kept quiet.

When I got home I smiled and called out for Abigail she ran down stairs and smiled. “Hey Kat, hey Daniel.” She waved. “Hello Abigail.” Daniel shook her hand. I held up my panda, “Look what Daniel won me.” I cheered. She laughed. I walked Daniel out to his car and kissed him good night. I walked upstairs and went into my room and sent a mass message out to Anne, Sarah, KT, Paige, Nick, Ben, & Kevin. 

‘Hey guys! I’m doing great and I just wanted you to know that I’ll be coming in next weekend to visit. I mean I miss you guys SO much and I haven’t talked to you guys in forever. I can’t wait to see how all of you have changed and grown. I can’t believe its been a year already! So yeah I just thought it would be nice to hang lovelies. xoxo Kat <3

I instantly got a message back, from Kevin. It said; ‘Did you get my last message?’ and I replied; ‘Yeah, and I used to like you. A lot. You always avoided me so I just gave up and now I have a boyfriend.’ A few seconds later he replied, ‘Oh :\’ My stomach clenched.