Chapter 19

I went down stairs and talked to Abigail about it. “It’s simple, you can visit them next week and you can go to the winter formal tomorrow.” Abigail smiled. Max came into the house looking like nothing happened. “Well what about the dress and my burns?” I frowned. “We  will cover up the burns with a cloth, and find a dress that will cover up the cloth.” “Okay but we don’t have very long.” I slightly smiled. I went upstairs and called Daniel. 

“Hey, I don’t know if you heard, but I was in a fire and I have burns on my back. They aren’t terrible, they’re just an eye sore.” The words escaped my mouth quickly. “Are you okay? Is anything wrong? Do you need any help?” His words stumbled. “I’m fine, honestly the only thing I could ask of you is to not laugh or be grossed out by my burns.” My lips curled in together. “I would never.” Daniel laughed. 

After I put make up on, I gently slid my black long sleeved shirt over my back and pulled my grey sweatpants over my burns. I looked at my burns in the mirror. My lower back was burned and my calves were too. They were barely first degree burns, but it still hurt like little needles poking my skin. I had to put Neosporin on the burns every couple of hours. I slid my black slipper booties on and walked down stairs. “Ready to go dress shopping?” Abigail smiled. “Ready.” I sighed and smiled. 

When we got to the mall, Abigail took me to Deb’s. I saw this short dress that was perfect. I took it into the bathroom and tried it on. It had a white lace top that ended around my belly button and the bottom part was all light blue glittery tulle that ended at mid-thigh. I twirled in it, fluffed the tulle, and I decided it was perfect. I came out and showed Abigail. “Listen I know it was the first dress I tried on but I want this one.” I smiled trying to talk fast enough so that she couldn’t get any input in while I was talking. “Why don’t we look at other ones too. I hold onto it while we look.

I walked around the winter formal section and I spotted another dress I liked. It was white with clear gems on the top that ended right under my chest. The entire bottom was black tulle with a silk wrap around the waist under the white top. It was adorable too but I still liked the blue one. I came out and showed Abigail. She shoved the blue dress into my arms and said, “Hold these, I’m going to look for some dresses.” A couple minutes later she came back with three dresses she grabbed the blue one and shoved me into the changing room with the other dresses and smiled. “Ouch!” I shrieked and my back slammed into the wall and my burn sent a wave of pain through my body. “I’m sorry hun! I really didn’t mean to. I forgot.” Abigail apologized. 

I hung the three dresses up and tried on the first one. It was super pink. It was pink silk with pink netting over it. There were thousands of bright pink sequins that hurt your eyes if you stared at them for too long, and OH MY GOD THE GLITTER! There was so much glitter and the dress was very short it ended right under my butt and it was strapless. It squished my boobs and I hated it. I quickly ran out and showed Abigail. She started laughing. I ran back in and tried on the second dress.

This one was had a black silk top that came right under my chest with white gems that were separated. The band underneath the top was black silk the you could barely see because the gems were covering it. The entire bottom was a peppermint green tulle that ended at mid thigh. “I love this one!” I smiled as I walked out to show Abigail. She smiled as she took it out of my hands and put it with the blue one and black one. I walked back in to try on the third dress. It was a peach color and it was silk with lace over the top. It was tight to about my belly button, then it was loose. It was simple but not winterish. I walked out to show Abigail and she smiled holding two pairs of shoes. One pair was black and glittery the other pair was light blue and glittery. Both pairs were platform pumps and they fit perfectly. 

 I kind of squirmed when I thought Abigail was going to make me pick between the three dresses but we just walked up to the counter and she bought all three dresses and both pair of shoes. “And your total will be $635.25. You saved $275 by shopping clearance.” The cashier smiled. She looked like a robot. She had a bleach blonde bob and a fake tan. Her eyes were bright blue, she was tall, and really skinny. Abigail swiped her credit card and entered the pin. “Thank you for shopping Deb’s! Come again!” The cashier smiled and waved.

When we got into Abigail’s car I asked her why she bought me all three pairs. “What do you mean? Am I not supposed to?” She questioned. “Well, I’m only going to be wearing a dress and a pair of shoes.” I smiled. Abigail laughed. “You can wear them whenever you want.” “I know but that was a lot of money.” I shrugged. “It’s fine.” Abigail smiled. 

On our way home Abigail stopped to get some Taco Bell. When we got home I walked upstairs and put on the light blue dress and light blue heels. I took a picture in the mirror and sent it to Daniel, Adelaide, Sammy, Ian, Christian, and oops, Kevin. I said, ‘Do you like it?’ Adelaide sent me a picture back of her black dress that was skin tight down to her upper waist with purple tulle on the bottom that ended at mid thigh. She had purple platform glitter pumps on. She said, ‘Hell yes dude! Do you like mine?’ I responded, ‘Thats adorable, I’m jealous.’ 

After a bit Daniel said, ‘You’re so beautiful.’ I smiled like a goofball. Sammy texted, ‘Oh hot damn, Daniel’s lucky ;)’ I laughed. Christian texted, ‘Those heels omg! :)’ ‘My friends are great’ I smiled and thought to myself. ‘Meow, Mrs. Montgomery! :P’ Ian finally texted. I took my dress off and slid into a big black T-shirt with my rose printed shorts. I laid on my tummy and dozed off. 

I remembered the time my cousin Aaliyah, my friend Dylan, and I were walking through the woods in Dylan’s backyard, I swear it could go for hundreds of miles back there, and we stumbled upon a little opening. It was beautiful there. It was a huge circle that was cleared out. There was a well, a few stalks of corn, and the seven mile creek went around the little isolated area. It was almost like an island surrounded by maple trees. 

A few months later we all hung out again and we thought it would be a good idea to go back there. Well we went back and I brought my dog. This time the entire place was burned. There was no well, there was no corn stalks, it was all ash. So on our way home we took a wrong turn and I ended up at my crazy neighbors house. I checked and his car wasn’t there, so we decided to cut across his yard to go to my house. His yard is huge and empty so we tried to hurry.

We were about half way across his yard when Dylan yelled, “Car!” while sprinting away.  Dylan had been messing with us the entire time so we just ignored him. Then I heard tires so I turned and our crazy neighbor was going about 60 mph towards us. Aaliyah and Dylan ran into the road and I ran into the woods. I kept thinking, ‘He can drive on the road, but he has to run through the woods.’ All of a sudden 

 I got yanked back. My dog had gotten her leash wrapped around the tree. I hurried to untangle her and we started running. I kept getting hit in the face with branches and getting cut on the leg by cat briars. I thought I could hear him running behind me so I’d run faster and faster, until I made it to my yard and I waited for Dylan and Aaliyah. They had been chased by Dylan’s crazy neighbor and he was shooting at them with his gun, until Aaliyah dropped her earring and it blew out the crazy neighbor’s tire. We had all made it and even though it was scary as hell then, it is the funniest thing now.

A/N The story at the end is true by the way. He's crazy lol.