Chapter 36: Tris

TrisPOV: Four and I covered quite a distance in the past few hours. Already we approached the gate and stepped through it, entering back into familiar territory. In only a little while longer we were already jumping onto the roof of the building and staring down the dark entrance to the dauntless compound. Four smiled and looked at me, "hey tris, this remind you of anything?" I remembered the day. I was terrified, but determined to show everyone that I was no helpless stiff. And then I met four for the first time as he helped me out of the net at the bottom, "ya. It does." I said back. "First jumper, tris." he said in thought. "would you like to live up to your title?" he said smirking as he gestured toward the hole. I smiled and took a running start, launching myself downward an laughing on the way down. Before this had terrified me and now all it felt like was freedom. I hit the net hard and it dug into my back and shoulders, and I laid there for a moment remembering everything that happened during initiation. Suddenly I heard Four laughing as he fell towards me. Quickly I tucked in my arms and rolled over as much as I could. Fours shoulder grazed mine slightly as I barely made it away. "A warning would be nice next time Four." I said looking at him. Then we both burst into laughter, together, laying on the net. "I love you tris" he said. "yeah yeah." I said as i pulled his face toward mine and pressed my lips onto his. His arms circled protectively around my back. It was a giddy sort of feeling, not wild or sad or extremely passionate, but it was pure and beautiful. Like two children in love who couldn't suppress their joy. Then I pulled away slightly and laid my head on his shoulder. We watched the small hole above us as the sky melted into nighttime, the stars bright above us.