Chapter 14: Katniss

KatnissPOV: once Tobias ha cooled off we talked it out and decided he and I would pack up the next day and begin our search for district 12. Once outside the dauntless compound I looked around an took a deep breath of the fresh air. It had been days since I had been outdoors. "where should we start." I said to Four as he stood examining the area. "Well. District 12 doesn't sound like any place I've been. So I guess we'll have to go somewhere I haven't been." he said with a far off look in his eyes. I looked to where his eyes led, a large endless field beyond a fence that seemed endless as well. "I'm guessing we're going through the fence then?" I said. I didn't see the big deal. It was just a fence. "that fence holds back a part of the world that we have neglected for several years now. It is said to have been so awful that our factions were formed to escape it. No one knows why lays behind, but i can tell you it's not a big slice of chocolate cake." he said. I looked at him jokingly, "chocolate cake?" he smirked then looks at me "I ll only go if there is cake." heh said, and for that slight moment I got to see the lighthearted, sarcastic, fun boy he really is. Or at least was. Then his face went dark as if he was remembering something, or someone. "let's go." he said, and I followed him all the way to the border where he punched in a simple code and the gate popped open. "ready to face possible death?" he said with slight humor in his voice. "only if there will be cake." I said with a chuckle, nudging him on the shoulder. We continued to laugh and chat like old friends as our journey into the unknown began. It was the first one we had genuinely gotten along this whole time. Hopefully not the last.