Chapter 13: Tris

TrisPOV: I had my borrowed pack slung over one shoulder as I followed Peeta out he door. The cold wind brushed my nose and tousled my hair around my face.

"Ready?" Peeta turned back to ask. I nodded my head and followed. We walked down the path to an old house that was black and rickety and looked uninhibited. We walked through the door and I saw a small blonde woman sitting at a table stroking a black and white cat.

"Mrs. Everdeen?" said Peeta looking in her direction. She looked at us with a look that could make anyone cry. A look that showed a life of pain and suffering beyond repair.

"Mrs. Everdeen, this is Tris," he said and I gave a small wave. "We have something really important to do, can you watch Rosie for a while?" he said, semi cautiously. She stood and walked towards us and looked at Peeta.

"Of course I can. Besides, it'll be nice to have someone else around besides just me and Buttercup." she said glancing at the cat. Peeta crouched down to Rosie's level and held her tight

"I'll be home as soon as I can, I promise." he said, his voice quivering slightly. When he released her I could see her cheeks glistened with tears.

"Don't leave me daddy, don't leave like mommy. Don't go." she said as she begun to sob. Peeta held her shoulder and looked right at her.

"Don't worry, I'll be back. Just always remember, I love you very much honey, and I will do everything I can to come back soon." She let out a cry and then launched herself into his arms.

"I love you daddy." she said through her sobs.

"I know" he said as he detached her from his shoulder and set her down next to her grandmother. Then he turned and walked towards the door. I could see in his movements how hard it was to leave her. As we began our walk away from the house I could hear Rosie's heart torn sobs from inside. I was frozen in place.

"Come on" Peeta said unsteadily. For a moment, I caught a glimpse if his tear filled eyes. Then it dawned on me that he just left behind his last loved one, so that I can find my home. And in that moment, I would never be able to repay him.