Chapter 1: I Promise.

It surely haunts you until you plan to move on.

I couldn't focus on anything else as the halls loomed over me, reminding me everything about last year.

This was the only thing I feared to come back to this place yet again and face every thing knowing that nothing could be the same now.

This place was just a constant reminder of my past, a part of it surely.

I adjusted my glasses as I slapped Melanie's arm to get the camera away from my face.

"Stop it Mel, I'm seriously going to throw this thing now." I let out a frustrated groan as Melanie shut her camera off from my face and decided to put it in the bag.

"I wanted to capture your stymied look and the whining you're about to start." She mocked looking away.

Oh, wasn't she just right. She knew I was counting the days left here.

Could I really manage another year here?

"It'll end soon, it'll end soon." I groaned looking at Melanie, pushing the strand of hair behind my ear still not knowing if she got my point or not.

"Stop it Elene," she countered, putting her phone in her pocket and looked at me with her red pony tail bouncing behind her and her blue eyes shimmering.

"High school is fun. And when you get to date every cute guy of the school, it's the best, only if you pay attention anymore." She taunted again and then she waved a guy hello admiring his face circumspectly and looked at me again enduring, "I don't get you sometimes, I mean, what is with you? Is there any specific reason you even wear these specs and tie your hair like this? Everyone here knows how you were last year and before that. I don't understand what's the point of changing your appearance like this. You might as well die your hair purple." She chuckled with raised eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes and she was proverbial of my reaction.

I didn't have it in me to become the same again.

The specs and buns are just for my personal satisfaction.

I don't think I'll ever be the same happy-go-lucky party girl again which the whole school loved.

Melanie tried to set me up a bunch of times after that, not that I agreed to them, but I ended up ditching them. I can't deal with this drama anymore.

Everyone knew how I used these things for excuse to hang out. My social life has ended.

And Melanie, being the the hassle-free type caused me to think that maybe me changing would make me lose her in some way. Though, it didn't happen.

We had been best friends since kindergarten, and when I reached to high school I thought we would mislay contact, but she tapped the front door of my house the next day our high school started being all like, "How can you ditch your oldest friend like this?" knowing I was all perplexed.

It turned out that I was the only person who knew her better than she knew herself and could cope with her situations better than she could. So I was her only support system.

"Hey Melanie! You're coming to Gavin's party, right?" said Alice from behind hugging her, not scrutinizing me.

Melanie smiled gently as always, "I'll be there." And Alice elapsed, hearing this. There were several greetings of Melanie with others in the school.