Chapter 22: Understatement Of The Century.

Okay, very very very sorry for the late update. I've been crazed the past two months. I hope this makes up for it.

Chapter 22:

“It is hard for her Conan, and I don’t know what the deal with dad is.” I told Conan still remembering the scene from last night when we arrived back from camp.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve changed, and you make me doubt everything that comes out of your mouth.” Mom said simply to dad but I know how hard it must’ve been to put it out like that knowing that Molly and Chet were listening.

Dad gestured me to take those two inside but it was time that all of us stayed and listened to what was really going on.

I ignored his request and stayed glued to my place. Conan shook his head at my stubborn act. Well, that’s me.

Molly and Chet were 9, and I think they were not so little to not understand what was going on.

“Listen, we can talk about this when the children are not here.” Dad alleged to mom.

“No! Maybe I want them to hear all of this!” mom screeched finally losing her temper.

Dad, being the forbearing one, sighed. “Fine, then I’ll just say what I want to.”

Mom crossed her arms over her chest looking at him. "That’s what I’ve wanted from the start.”

“I think we need a break.”

The way he said that it seemed as if he’d been trying to say that a couple times before too and like he had put too much of a thought into this, but it doesn’t change the fact that what he stated was probably going to affect our lives very badly.

I turned my gaze to mom who was fighting back her tears so hard that I felt my eyes turning blurry too. I sniffed and took a step towards her but stopped when I heard her speak.

“I-wh-bu-”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to say anything. I just think we need a break from all this drama. I’m not going anywhere, I’ll stay at some place on rent or something and I’m not backing out on the responsibility of my children. I just need time because I think we’re fighting a lot and you’ve always known how personal space is important to me. I think I’m just frustrated-”

“Okay.” Mom interrupted him short.
He was appalled by her reply. She doesn’t take such things so easily.

“Are you sure..?”

“Yea. I think you’re right. We both need time.” She declared flatly before storming from the living room into her room and slamming the door shut.

Dad ran after him as we stayed glued to our places not being able to move.

Molly and Chet grabbed one finger of Conan each and I suddenly wished that I would just run from here.

We heard them shouting at each other and constantly blaming each other why their relationship was not the same. Mom started to accuse him on plenty of things and Dad claimed that these were all the things why he was so exhausted of living this life.

He kept saying they need a break and mom kept persuading that they could work it out.

I perceived Conan who was red with anger by that time and Molly, always the sensitive one, had started to cry.

My hands were covered in sweat and I felt dizzy when dad came rushing out the room and stormed off, slamming the door of the house shut, and muttering something under his breath.